Nine. Walk Away

nine

nine. walk away

     NOW don't get her wrong, Alaska loved watching movies. All kinds of them, too. Horror, comedy, thrillers, romance— she had seen it all. But something about going out to watch a movie with JJ, Pope and Kiara seemed very off putting to her. There was a weird tension around Pope, and she hoped it wasn't about what happened at the Island Club the day before. Kiara and JJ filled her in on their mission with the Royal Merchant, and to her surprise, they found the ship! But, there wasn't any gold. It must have been taken out, or at least that's what Alaska thought.

     "I'm so glad they're still doing this," Kiara said with a satisfied smile as the walked around the large screen. "Keep calm, carry on. Back to OBX life, you know? Aren't you glad we came?"

     "Ecstatic."

     "I'm all for movies, Kie," Alaska smiled softly, as they set up the area for them sit, "But we could've done this at my place."

     "I agree," JJ interjected, "She has a huge TV, and her couch? A cloud."

     Kiara ignored them, rolling her eyes at their objections before asking, "Have you guys heard from John B today?"

     "No, the cell towers are still down."

     "Relax, guys," JJ sighed, taking a seat between Pope and Alaska. "He's probably still moping about the Merchant."

     "Can't blame him honestly," Alaska shrugged before turning to Kie, "You wanna go buy some snacks?"

     "Sure."

     The two girls walked away from their friends and to the stands, wondering what to buy. Alaska had missed hanging out with Kiara on their own— not infiltrated by boys on the daily. But, their content smiles were washed away when they were approached by the last person they wanted to see.

     "Hello, girls," Rafe Cameron sent them a condescending smiles, his eyes lingering longer on Alaska, making her roll her eyes. "How are you?"

     Kiara barely glanced up at him as she began to order their snacks. Alaska looked up at him with her best fake smile and tilt of her head, "We were fine until you showed up."

     Rafe feigned a heartbroken look, holding his hand up to his chest. "That hurts, Allie, truly."

     "What a shame," Alaska pouted, "How about you leave us alone? Maybe we'll all feel better."