One. Operation Fake Dating

one

one. operation fake dating

     IF JJ Maybank hadn't known who Alaska Moore was, he'd have thought an angel walked into The Wreck.

     It was ten minutes before he had to close the shop down for Kiara's parents. Sometimes, he would take shifts there when he was low on cash, and today, it was his lucky day. It had been raining heavily all day, so everyone was taking shelter in the restaurant, which meant more tips for JJ. When the bell above the door rang, he yelled out a, "We're closing, sorry!" But when there was no response, he turned around to see Alaska Moore, the kook angel, dressed in a wet white dress and her hair matted down to her head.

     And it was like all the breath was knocked out of JJ.

     "Sorry," Alaska mumbled, wrapping her shivering arms around herself, "My— My car broke down and this was the nearest place. I—"

     "Don't worry about it, angel," JJ blurted, blue eyes wide and staring at the girl in front of him. It was like he was frozen in place.

    She shook her head quickly, taking a step towards the boy as he dropped his towel on the counter, "I just need to stay here for a while... Is that okay?"

     It really wasn't okay. He had to close down the shop now. But, the desperate look on the angel's face couldn't make him say no.

     "Yeah, yeah, yeah, totally."

     She nodded softly, a small smile entrancing her lips, "Thanks, JJ."

     She knew his name. JJ thought he was going to faint. "No problem. No problemo. Uh—"

     Chuckling, she sat at one of the bar stools across from JJ, holding her head in her hands tiredly. There was silence, but it wasn't uncomfortable, almost like they'd been doing this their whole life.

     "So, uh," JJ glanced at the brunette, "What were you doing out this late?"

     Sighing, the girl leaned back on the barstool, interlacing her fingers together, "There was a party, but it sucked ass. It's a Kook party, what else did I expect?" She let out a humorless laugh.

     "Did something happen?"

     Alaska looked up at him, blue eyes meeting hazel, and JJ could've sworn he was melting. He always understood why she was called the kook angel. She literally looked like one.

     "The usual, I'm pretty sure the entire island knows this," She shook her head, "A problem with the name of Rafe Cameron."

    "Oh," JJ scoffed. "Him."

     "Yeah," She rolled her eyes, "It's shit. I told him a gazillion times that it's never going to happen. Never in a million years. My parents don't think it's that bad of an idea. But, I'd rather die than let that happen."

     "Damn," He whistled, "Rafe's an asshole and he doesn't tip."

     "Pretty sure that's the epitome of asshole," She laughed quietly, her eyes still on him as he wiped the last of the counter and threw the towel over his shoulder.

     "So, what are you going to do?" He asked, hoping she had the answer he had in his mind, "Run? Kick his ass? Light his house on fire? I can help with the last one."

     "Oh, I wish," She giggled, "I don't know, but I need to get him off my back. If I had a boyfriend that might help—" She rolled her eyes, "But Rafe pretty much marked his territory and no other guy will even look me in the eyes at this point."

     "You can date me."

     What the fuck, JJ? The boy had a lot of intrusive thoughts, but the one he never thought he'd say out loud was the one he'd been wishing for all his life.

     "Um, what?" She eyed him.

     "Uh, I mean," He shuffled uncomfortably, "You want to throw him off your scent, right? And I'm pretty sure he hates my guts cause I'm a Pogue. It can be fake, you know, doesn't have to be real, uh, it's just an idea, sorry that was stupid—"

     "That's actually pretty smart," She interrupted him, back straightening with hope.

     "Really?—"

     "Yeah, yeah!" She smiled, "We can totally fake date, right? Go on a few dates in front of him. It would get him off my back even if it's for a short while!"

     JJ thought he was dreaming.

     "Let's do it, then," He smiled back at her, "But we should have like a few ground rules, just so we make it look real."

     "Yeah, yeah," She nodded, "I'm not going to tell my friends, they're total gossips, but you can tell your friends if you want! Kie and I are still friends even after the whole thing with Sarah happened."

     "Alright then," He nodded, "I think they'd be cool with you hanging out with us for the show."

     "Cool," She said, "Uh, what else? Oh, we should be, like, super honest with each other. If one of us wants to back out, no hard feelings whatsoever!"

     JJ was never going to back out of this.

     "No hard feelings," He gulped, "Operation fake dating is now in order?"

     "Operation fake dating, baby!"