Six. Second Favorite Color

six

six. second favorite color

ALASKA hadn't known John B for long. But, she'd known of him. She'd seen him often around the island, whether it was working for Ward and his boat or hanging out with his dad or his friends. John B was somehow a constant in Alaska's life, and now he's someone she really cared for.

When news of Big John's disappearance got around, her mom was really upset for some reason and when she asked about it, all her mom said was 'Big John was a friend'. Alaska never got the chance to pry about it because her mom was constantly in and out of town.

But what really spoke up was that Big John wasn't just missing— he was also dead. There wasn't evidence, there wasn't proof. But, it made so much sense. He'd been missing for nine months now. Why hadn't he sent a message to John B by now if he were alive? Why not come back to the Outerbanks? There were so many questions and so little answers— and maybe that was what was driving John B to the lighthouse right now.

The obsession that he needed to know the truth. If his dad was alive, then maybe this was the way to make sure. To give him the closure he really needed.

"I mean, it's obvious, right?" John B asked them as he glanced at them through the rear view mirror of the twinkie. "A family heirloom. What better place to hide a message? He had to know it was gonna get back to me, right?"

"Yeah. It's possible," Alaska mumbled, rubbing her eyes tiredly as she scrolled through her instagram feed and liked Kelce's post.

"It could also be possible that you're concocting wild theories to help," Pope interjected. "You know, deal with your sad feels."

"Bro, you know how I process my sad feels," JJ nudged his best friend, making Alaska turn off her phone and look between the Pogues. "Dank nugs and the stickiest of ickies, that's how I do it."

"I'm not concocting, okay?" John B scoffed, "My dad's trying to give me a message."

"If it helps you believe, John B," Kiara tried to help.

"Look, I— I don't need a therapy session, okay?" John B rolled his eyes, "Look, I'm not trippin' out—"

"It's okay to trip, bro, but..."

"Look, my... my dad is missing, okay?" John B insisted, almost like he was trying to convince himself rather than his friends. "Missing. You don't know what it's like to have the person closest to you vanish and then have no idea what happened. Just wake up every morning wondering."

The Kook put a hand on his shoulder empathetically. "Hey, he could have been kidnapped," Alaska tried to lighten the mood, turning to JJ who grinned at her. "That's definitely a possibility."