Chapter 57 - The Garden

Once in the safe room, we looked over the plans Shadeon had made. They were detailed, and judging by the number of plans here, he's tried more than once to open the last door to the depths of Mementos.

"This is telling of how many attempts he's made to get to the depths." Morgana said concerned. "It's true that I don't know what the depths looks like, but it would be bad if Shadeon got to the depths."

"Shade beasts being born from the darkness in human hearts... That would be terrifying." Ann said a bit scared.

"That's why we gotta beat sense back into Shadeon." Ryuji said. "He's our friend."

"Indeed, he's fallen into darkness, but we can set him right even if it means locking him away." Yusuke stated.

"This may be a theory, but is that exactly what Shadeon wants?" Makoto asked making us look at her. "Think about it, Shadeon himself could get rid of us if he's so strong. We've seen just how exhausted Joker got from using Shadeon's power. Even at just a fraction."

"I think Queen is right, now that Shadeon has control over Joker's body, he can use his powers without exhausting himself." Futaba stated. "But Shadeon isn't trying to take us on himself."

"It's his connection with each of us." I stated. "Shadeon has more friends in each of us than the past."

"Perhaps, he's in a sense of pain and relief." Ann said. "Think about it, Ren lost control of Shadeon because he thought we got killed in Okumura's Palace."

"Still, I wish that there was something that we could do that did not involve locking Shadeon away within Joker." Yusuke stated.

As much as we would want that to happen, we all know this possibility isn't very likely. Nothing will be as it was. Ann burned the plans both tried and yet to be tested, then we exited the safe room. Ren had been sitting outside the safe room and the shade ears on his head twitched. That made him look up at us.

"We're ready to continue forward, Joker." I said.

He stood up and we followed him to the inner dome. There was a strong looking shadow waiting to fight us.

"Shadeon has ordered that all intruders be stopped here." it stated.

"Oh please, as if we give a damn about you attempting to stop us." I stated waving my hand dismissively. "We're going to tear you apart, limb from limb if you don't get out of our way."

"Shadeon has granted me the power to stop you here, I'll do my utmost to stop you here!" the shadow stated transforming from the shape it had to a new shape.

Looks like Shadeon can bestow shade powers on powerful shadows that swear loyalty to him. That wasn't good but at least it wasn't an actual shade beast. Still, the fight was more taxing than we assumed. I thought about it and then looked at Joker.

"Joker, think you can bite off some of that shade energy?" I asked pointing at the shadow.

Ren looked up and then flew at the shadow, he punched his shade covered arm through the shadow. Though it wasn't enough to kill the shadow, it was enough to block off the shade energy it received from Shadeon. Joker then pulled back so that we could finish it off. Once we defeated the shadow, we were able to go forward.

The next area was quite unexpected. While the plant life was black with gentle colors running in water, the petals of the plants and the leaves of trees were white.

"My word..." Yusuke said stunned. "This is beautiful."

"I have to agree, it is surprisingly beautiful." Haru said as she gently touched one of the plants.