Chapter Thirteen: Recalling the Kiss and the Dicey One

With his mission accomplished, Alex exited the gates of Kate's family restaurant and was about to walk down the stairs toward his car.

"What is your relation with my Kate?"

Alex jumped, halting on his step. Like a lurking ghost, a guy had been standing leaning against the frame of the gates.

"Excuse me," Alex slid away a little, not knowing what he had done to deserve the guy's accusing look. He also noticed how the punk called her—his Kate.

"You heard the question just fine," the guy said with narrowed eyes. "You tried to woo her father," he accused. The guy tried to look menacing, but with that round puppy-like face of his and small build—almost half of Alex, he massively failed. "Just listen carefully. You'll be destroyed if you dare to come between my Kate and me."

Alex raised a brow and tilted his head a bit. In his mind, he grabbed the audacious guy's collar, raised him from the ground to face him properly, and then head-butted him into the wall behind. But from the peripheral, he saw Kate talking to her father. They would notice if any fury was unleashed. So, instead, Alex forwarded a hand as he had for Kate's father.

"Why are you showing me your hand? Oh, so you've finally gotten scared of my warning and want a shake of the hand," the guy blabbered, looking satisfied and proud suddenly. He chuckled. "No worries, man, just stay away from Kate, and I'll let you breathe."

Ignoring the annoying blabber, Alex asked at the same time as the guy reached for his hand. "What's your name?"

"Braylen...," His voice trailed off with a suck of breath, and his face twisted in anguish.

Alex had suddenly tightened his fingers, nearly crushing Braylen's bones in his grip.

"Listen, Brinzal," Alex said in a low voice, leaning close to his ear. "And listen very carefully. I am the vice that suffocates my enemies. Pray that you never face the destruction I can cause to the annoying pests who cross my path."

Braylen's eyes widened. It was hard to tell if it was from panic or pain.

When Alex released him from the handshake, Braylen almost fell to the floor. Thankfully, the banister of the stair railing was just next to him, which he could cling onto.

--

Alex was sure that Kate would come. After all, his plans and traps never failed, not with business or the people around him.

Success resulted from calculated moves, and Alex knew his math well. Yet he felt anxious.

Since waking up this morning, he had been continuously checking the time. When he reached the office, which he did a bit earlier today, not being able to be patient with the feeling of heaviness in his throat, he kept looking up at his office door. Every time Kim or Steeve or anyone knocked, he sprang to sit straight on his chair, all muscles of his body taut, eyes widened. He felt shocked at the childish thrill that filled his entire being.

At one point, he found Kim hiding his smile.

Alex glared hard at the man and was further infuriated when Kim pretended not to notice it.

Sighing, Alex slumped in his chair. Kim was not at fault.

Suddenly, he regretted that his office walls were not made of glass like his dad's. He should have listened to the old man.

"I'll inform you immediately when she arrives," Kim told him.

Alex cleared his throat. "Did I tell you to do that?"

"No."

"Then refrain from doing what you haven't been instructed to do."

"Alright," Kim nodded and walked out of the office, only to yank open the door minutes later without knocking and announcing with a grin, "That girl's here! She's arrived!"