The Woman Who I Admire The Most

Hey guys 👋🏻

So this International Women's Day, I decided to write a little something titled 'The Woman Who I Admire The Most'

PS: The above picture is a digital artwork is a picture of my mother and me, made by yours truly.

--------

When someone says they admire another, they are expressing their great admiration for the other person. Soldiers are praised for their dedication to their motherland, whereas professional athletes are appreciated for their talent and work ethics. Though she may not have made significant contributions to society, the woman I most admire played a significant role in forming the person I am today, my mother. She had a typical Indian upbringing, but unlike most people, she wished for a daughter when she was expecting.

My mother never told me that I couldn't do anything because girls aren't supposed to do it when I was growing up. My mum used to sit and watch cricket matches with me at a time when people used to claim that girls can't play the sport. Because my mother constantly encouraged me, I used to participate in every sport without ever considering what other people would think. When none of the other kids wanted to play with me, my mother would occasionally play with me. A boy once told me that girls don't play cricket, so my mum told me about Mithali Raj and Jhulan Goswami from the Indian Women's Cricket Team, in order to ensure I didn't start thinking like other people. In fact, my mother also watched all the matches of India in the inaugural T20 World Cup in 2007 with me, staying up late at night sometimes. Even today when people ask me why I enjoy cricket so much, I always say that my mother got me hooked to the sport at a young age.

My mother didn't just support my interests in various sports. Being a science graduate, she enjoyed telling me about scientific phenomena that occur in our everyday life. My mother even went to the extent of explaining the concept of light diffraction to me, when I was a five year old kid who had just learned about rainbows. She has always fueled my natural desire to learn more about the world around me. The things I learned in school weren't enough for me as I eventually discovered a passion for science. By enrolling me in lessons that would prepare me for various olympiads, my mother took the initiative to keep my interest alive. There were times when I excitedly told her about something new I learnt in class and she just listened to me, even if she didn't always understand everything that I said.

My mother always offered me chances to find my niche by supporting me to do whatever I liked, no matter how crazy it might seem to be. She has never completely restricted me from following my passions, ignoring all the people who generally advised her against it. I admire my mother for being the amazing woman that she is and for raising her daughter to become a woman that would never compromise on her own dreams, just because the people around her expect her to do so.

--------

Hope you guys enjoyed this one shot.

Thank you for reading!

~ Dreamer Lass