“I’m sure Emily has been well taken care of under your guidance, Mrs Andrews,” Aunt Florence said as the tea arrived.

“Of course, only the best for our dear niece,” Aunty Prue said with a hint of obstinance.

Emily stared at the floor as Aunty Prue’s elbow dug into her side, hidden from view as they sat close together. A reminder to keep her lips sealed. They need not know 'the best' was reserved for Cecily only and not their 'dear niece'.

“After many invitations to visit, I have to wonder what persuaded you to come now, Mrs Andrews?” Henry asked as his mother handed him a cup of tea.

Aunt Florence looked at him wide eyed. “Henry!”

“It’s alright, your Ladyship. We would have wholeheartedly accepted your previous invitations if it hadn’t been for dear Mr Andrews’ poor health. He was wounded in the war you know and the journey, I fear, would have been too much for him. Thank the lord, he has improved much in the last year. But to answer your question of why now? Well, my Cecily has come of age and there are very few suitable gentlemen in our area. I have high hopes of her making an eligible match through your family's connections,” said Aunty Prue, looking the picture of sincerity despite her vulgar words.

Emily looked up at Cecily as she smiled at Oscar, who was seated next to her. They were opposite to where she and Aunty Prue sat, giving her a front-row seat to her Cousin’s outrageous flirting. Cecily then placed her hand on Oscar’s arm, much to Emily’s disgust.

“It is my dearest wish to make a good match and I am already certain the gentlemen of Yorkshire are without comparison,” Cecily simpered as she batted her lashes.

But Emily knew the truth, the real reason Aunty Prue finally accepted, and he was sitting in that very room. It was not eligible gentlemen they wanted, but a certain gentleman. When they had learned that Oscar was to be visiting, wild horses would not have kept them away. And certainly not Uncle Joseph’s imagined ill health. 

Henry was a wealthy viscount and extremely eligible. But his looks were plain, and Cecily and Aunty Prue were vain. Oscar was the prize catch, a higher rank, rich and extremely handsome.

He hadn’t changed. His beautiful blue eyes still captivated her. His wild dark brown hair, and that one dimple in his right cheek. When he smiled, Emily melted.

Suddenly, she was pulled from her trance as a sharp elbow dug into her side, making her wince with pain. Her tea cup rattled violently on its saucer. She had been staring at Oscar, and Aunty Pure was not pleased. She quickly averted her eyes back to the floor as the conversation carried on.

“My dear Mrs Andrews, and please, call me Florence. I have just thought of the most splendid idea.” Aunt Florence looked about the room, smiling at everyone as they waited in anticipation. “We will hold a house party. I will invite my many acquaintances from London and the surrounding areas. And during their stay, we shall hold a coming-out ball for the girls.”

“Oh my goodness, how wonderful!” Cecily exclaimed. “And of course, Lord Trentham, you shall receive the first dance.”

Emily looked up in time to see Oscar smiling. She felt winded by his response. Then he turned his head and looked directly at her. His eyes held concern. She immediately dropped her gaze to the now familiar carpet. They were playing right into Aunty Prue’s hands and they didn’t even know it.

“What a splendid idea, Florence. It is my dearest wish to see Cecily settled in a fortunate situation and with your guidance, I dear say she will not be Miss Andrews for long.”

“And Emily, of course?” Henry added. Emily looked up at him as he directed a pointed stare at Aunty Prue.

“I beg your pardon?” She replied.

“You will want a good match for Emily as well?” He went on.

“Well, of course.”

Aunty Prue looked a little flustered at Henry’s bluntness. Emily smiled at her hands in her lap. It had been too long since Aunty Prue had been put in her place, and Emily was determined to enjoy every minute.

A look passed between Henry and his mother. She looked very displeased with the way he was behaving at present. And Aunty Prue seemed most upset at the way she had been spoken to. She noticed Emily’s upturned mouth and jolted her once more in the ribs, making Emily blanch.

“She is past her prime at one and twenty, but I’m sure there will be some gentleman not at all bothered by that,” Cecily said, coming to her mother’s defence.

“It is never too late to find happiness, Miss Andrews. I dear say, Miss Emily will be just as successful as yourself,” Oscar said, coming to Emily’s defence.

Cecily simply nodded and smiled, but it did not reach her eyes.

“There is a lovely country curate that lives in the nearby village. He would make an excellent match for Emily. But if all else fails, there shall always be a place in our home for our dear niece.”

Emily couldn’t believe what she was hearing. The curate, Mr Jones, was at least twenty years her senior. Then, rather abruptly, Aunty Prue set her tea down and rose to her feet.

“My goodness, Florence I am feeling rather fagged. Our journey was indeed long. I’m sure the girls could do with a lie down before supper. Would you be a dear and call for someone to show us to our rooms?”

“Of course, Prudence, we will not keep you a moment longer. Jeffery will show you the way.” Aunt Florence looked rather unimpressed, but Aunty Prue paid her no mind.

As Jeffrey walked along the wide corridor with Cecily close behind, Aunty Prue laced her arm through Emily’s and squeezed tight just below her shoulder and dug in her nails.

“Remember, girl, this visit is for Cecily’s benefit, not yours. You are to stay away from Lord Trentham.”

Emily looked at her in surprise. She tried to pull away as pain started pulsing through her arm. But Aunty Prue wasn’t so easily dissuaded. Holding tighter, she leaned close to Emily and whispered.

“I saw the way you were looking at him. Now don’t you be getting any funny ideas. He’s Cecily’s, and that’s all there is to it. Now that I’ve thought of it, I think Mr Jones would make a perfect husband for you.”

Aunty Prue smiled, released Emily, and increasing her pace, she caught up with her daughter.

"Oh and Emily, be a dear and unpack Cecily’s trunks. You do such a wonderful job and I'd rather not leave it to some simple maid to bungle," Aunty Prue said over her shoulder.

Emily wiped at the forming tears. She would not cry in their presence. She couldn’t and wouldn’t let them have that satisfaction.