"Hey," Vel said softly, angling her body to face him fully. It was part of the subconscious body language they'd developed with one another, inviting vulnerability and connection without directness or pressure. She couldn't hold back, reaching out to take his gloved hands in her own. The slump of his shoulders seemed especially pronounced, whether from fatigue or something else on his mind, and she took a step closer, brushing her thumbs along his knuckles beneath the armor plate. "Some of the best stuff is extraneous," she murmured, tilting her head coaxingly. Her heart skipped a beat as his eyes softened, and he bent to remove his helmet, tucking it under one arm and returning his hand to hers.

"This planet's atmosphere has a fascinatingly unique variation in the density of the layers of which it is composed. They allow debris to descend further toward the surface before they burn up completely, which makes for spectacular visual events. I believe most planets call it a meteor shower, despite the inaccuracy of the name considering the content of the objects causing the blazes of light, but regardless... It can be an enchantingly pleasant phenomenon to observe."

His eloquence sparkled like flecks of water that turned into diamonds as they caught the sun atop a cresting wave. Sometimes it wasn't the best time or place for it, but she could never understand how he was mocked for it. "That sounds amazing," she said honestly, feeling the heat rise in her face as her eyes returned to the bed in the clearing.

"The temperature is expected to drop significantly over the next few hours, and the prime viewing time is late into the night. Since you lack thermoregulated armor, I wanted to provide a comfortable place for us to watch it together. If you wish, that is."

"Wait, you came all the way up here once already?" Vel asked in disbelief.

"Yes," Tech answered evenly. "I desired to create a fairly romantic scene..." he drifted off, brows coming together as his eyes glazed over a bit, his mind clearly elsewhere running rapid analyses on his plan so far.

"It's gorgeous," Vel said, stifling a shiver as the wind continued to whip at her clothes.

Without another word, Tech beckoned for her to join him on the blankets, arranging the pillows a few different times until he was satisfied that he'd achieved the optimal placement maximum comfort. He watched with a small smile as she sank back into them with a contented sigh, tucked the thick fabric all around her, then shocked and delighted her further by scooting his own body down next to hers. Mere inches separated them, and she was positive he could feel all the yearning she tried so hard to stuff down. He folded his hands on his chest, resting his head on a pillow beside her and tipping his chin up to familiarize himself with the constellations that were beginning to sparkle as the evening gray faded into velvet black.

His proximity was electrifying, and she was equally captivated by the myriad of glittering stars above her as well as the light whiffs of his scent, the little sounds he'd make as he focused or shifted, and the warmth radiating from even behind his plastoid armor that made her want to wrap herself around him. She asked him questions, pointing to the various attractions across the sky and relishing his soothing voice, with all its peaks and valleys, as he shared with restrained enthusiasm. Finally, they fell silent for a while, simply soaking up the sounds of nighttime life all around them.

Vel wasn't sure if it were her imagination or not, but she thought she could hear his heart pounding in his chest. It almost echoed in his armor, and she felt a bit relieved that it matched her own infatuated state. It struck her just how far she'd come from the cynical, hopeless interruption he had first known her as, and she rolled her tongue in her cheek as she thought of the funny way life had of guiding everyone to destinies they would rarely expect.

"Are you nervous?" she asked softly, watching him fidget in response.

"I cannot discern any reason to be."

"That's not what I asked," she said, her voice laced with an affectionate smile. A chuckle escaped Tech's lips, and she could swear even his breath smelled irresistible.

"I predict you will not allow this topic to pass by without a direct answer," he pondered, and Vel sat up on an elbow to peer down at him warmly.

"You are correct."

"Hm," he said, as though judging a famous piece of art and coming away unimpressed. "Yes, I suppose there are elements of nervousness in the current circumstances."

"So you can caress my face when I'm naked except for a towel, but..." Vel teased, laughing as he interrupted her with an accompanying stern glance.

"This is entirely different. But I see the irony. I just find it difficult to choose the right path... to navigate... Hm," he drifted off again, face tightening in puzzlement.

"What if there isn't one right path?" she asked, inching her way toward him with her eyes fixed on his face, watching closely for any discomfort or protest.

"While likely true, it only confounds the situation."

There were no words that had the right blend of snark and understanding, and Vel's attention had moved on to other things, watching his chest rise and fall beneath her. His arms were tucked behind his head, leaving his side exposed in such a way that it called to her to press against it. She slowly nuzzled her head onto his shoulder, resting the side of her forehead against his cheek as she tentatively shuffled sideways to fit her curves along his. Random edges of the armor jabbed here and there, but she didn't care -- she was glowing with joy at his closeness. She rested her palm in the center of his chest plate, fingers tracing idle circles on it as she finished fitting herself around him and rested still. To her surprise and delight, he reached the far hand over, taking her hand in it and cradling it against his heart.

The shooting stars were luminous and awe-inspiring, but the deepest bliss came from the tingly warmth radiating throughout her as Tech's thumb wandered back and forth against her own.