Chapter 51

I left the loft a little bit ago so I could shower and change, letting the girls know I was okay and staying the rest of the weekend to spend time with my family

Wesley has been keeping himself busy so my brother and I could have some alone time to grieve our dad.

Miles and I had hugged and cried when I came downstairs before he stuffed me full of pancakes even though it was past noon at that point. We went to see our dad together, shed more tears at his headstone, wishing he was still here, but believing he was proud of us for staying together and taking care of the ranch and each other.

"Have you talked to mom today?" Miles asks me while we're sitting together on the couch in the living room.

"No," I groan.

"When's the last time you talked?"

"Um, maybe last week? We've only been trading texts. I'm not ready to get stuck on the phone with her."

"I know she wasn't here when he passed, but maybe today or this weekend might be a good time to try?"

I shrug nonchalantly. "Maybe."

"Just think about it, okay?"

"Yeah, sure."

"I just want you to be okay, Mackey. I know dad dying wasn't something we expected so soon plus the heartbreak from Wesley leaving, but you're a strong woman. I want to see that spunky sass come back like it was."

"I know, I'm working on it. Being here with you and Wes helps."

"Don't take this the wrong way, I'm glad he's here to help you, but I don't want you to have to lean on him all the time."

"I fought him last night."

"Yeah, during your rampage of the barn. He did that so you wouldn't hurt yourself or break something you'd regret."

"Miles-"

"Just, sit on it like the mom thing, okay? No rash decisions. Welsey and I are in your corner, we're here to help. You're strong enough to do it on your own."

"Yeah, I guess you've got a point. It's just been a rough year, but I'm trying. Nothing is going to change overnight."

"I understand that. You've become more yourself the longer he's around and I love that. You can do it on your own though, too."

"Thank you Miles," I dip my head to hide my smile.

Deep down I know my brother is right and I feel like I've been standing well on my own, but maybe I have been leaning more on them than I thought I was.

I'm going to try and get through these last few weeks of school, and then build up that spunk and take no shit attitude back here during the summer. I'll be back working on the ranch and probably kicking those ranch hands asses into gear.