Chapter 1

The trees were quiet

The trees were quiet.... almost to quiet for the end of the world. It didn't settle right in the pit of the woman's stomach. She motioned the group forward and for once the twins listened to her when she said to be quiet.

"Does it seem almost..."

"Like the dead haven't even been to this place?" Her voice was deadly quiet to them and the man who talked to her just nodded his head.

"How far?" The man spoke again and she stopped looking up into the branches for any signal to if they were close to their destination. She closed her eyes after a moment and breathed in the clear air.

"About a couple miles out, be careful and alert. I haven't been home in long time."

They all nod their heads and they crouched low to the ground and moved forward at a stealthy fast speed. The ground making no noise as they walked they kept in a formation that had all views covered. The older two in the back as the younger two were in the front.

They had moved faster than they thought because the noise of people had brought the leader to bring her hand up making them stop and she crawled to the front. They moved to the tree line just beyond sight.

Her eyes took in the familiar fields. The house and barn that looked exactly the same. For the exception of the camper and couple of cars along with a bike. People gathered around the middle of the field.

"Do you know who they are?" The younger male asked and she shook her head slowly as she surveyed the area.

"No I don't see anyone I recognize...We stay out of sight and watch... Maybe go in the night and take a few horses." She motioned to the barn to side and they nod their heads. It was close to winter that would be the place they take them to keep them warm.

Turning she placed her back to the field looking to the group in front of her. The younger two looked her as if she was like the president. The other male, the older one...he looked at her with understanding eyes.

"I am going to find us some food, keep an eye the people here. Anything or anyone does anything to the people I showed you in the picture....you know what to do." She nodded to the older man and he nodded back.

She crept through the forest pulling the bow off her shoulder and notched an arrow keeping it pointed down as she waited for any animal to come across her vision. She didn't want to go far but she did want to get some decent food into them. She knows the boys were looking a bit thin for her liking.

She a quiet call to see if any animals would respond. Most normally did but it was quiet. Something she hated but loved.

Her vision shot to the rabbit that ran across her vision. She was quick to raise her bow and fire the arrow which had killed it quickly. Pulling the rope she kept on her hip she grabbed her knife ready to make a small hole to carry the rabbit but stopped short when seeing red ribbon in the rabbit's mouth.