***

Hunter's head jerked up from his dinner, his fork and knife cocked at the ready. He glanced around the room quickly, not seeing any sign of her. His brow furrowed, and he stood, taking one more scan around the dinner hall before returning to his seat.

"What is it?" Crosshair asked from the bench across the table.

"I felt something," Hunter responded, "But it was weird. It wasn't something around here..." He looked at Tech, "Any idea where Vel might be tonight?"

Tech looked up from his food in surprise, cheek bulging from the bite he'd just taken, "I have a few likely locations, most of which are easily accessible, and could possibly confirm further if we go to a data terminal. Her quarters, the repair bay, or the rehabilitation center are most likely, as I believe she eats dinner earlier than us. Why?"

"Maybe we should check em out," Hunter said, finishing his drinking glass. "I've got an odd feeling."

"Are you dipping your toes in the world of spice now, Hunter?" Crosshair said, frowning through a bite, "We're in the middle of dinner. You really want to go stalk Tech's little obsession, on a feeling?"

"You finish your dinner then," Hunter said, rising to his feet and tucking his helmet under his arm. Tech was at his side immediately, helmet on, visor scanning blueprints. They turned to leave, and were shortly joined by Wrecker, each hand grasping the last bits of his dinner. 

"I just didn't want to stay there with him," Wrecker said, shrugging. 

"I am uploading each of the locations to these small trackers," Tech said, fingers flying on the datapad, "They will direct you to the locations she frequents. You will have to knock on the entry for the accommodations, obviously, but it should be enough for us to find her."

"Sounds good. Report in when you've got something," Hunter said, taking one of the small, round remotes. That strange sense was back again, with even more urgency this time. "Where are we going?"

"You've got her quarters, Wrecker has the repair bay, and I shall check the rehabilitation center," Tech responded, and they moved out. 

The rehabilitation center was closed and locked for the night, something Tech should have realized from the start. He cursed his lapse of mental prowess, then doubly so as he replayed in his mind their conversation from earlier that day. 

"The communication center," he muttered, tapping furiously on the datapad, "Of course."

***

Arthen's fingers dug into Vel's upper arm again as he gave it a little jerk to emphasize his words. She had turned her face away from him where he had pushed her up against the control panel, so she didn't see the splash of light as the door quickly slid open and closed.

"I told you why I blocked them from the beginning," he said, "I just knew that I loved you from the start, from the moment I laid eyes on you. You know I've got to have you."

"It needs to go both ways, Arthen," Vel said, face remaining hidden.

Tech confirmed the scene through his visor before lifting it and pulling out his blasters. He slunk along a tall row of desks and screens, approaching the two at the terminal at the end. He slipped across a walkway, stepping closer.

"I know you're in here, lover boy. So come on out instead of being a sneaky little coward," Arthen yelled, turning to face the room behind them while maintaining his firm grip on Vel's bicep.

Tech stood tall, walking out plainly in front of them, blasters at his side. Vel was flooded with relief, although still churning with fear somehow at the same time. "Your grasp on her arm is unacceptable, Arthen. Please release her."

Arthen laughed, standing to his full height and taking a step toward Tech, pulling Vel forward with him. "First of all, that's cute. Second of all, what the kriff do you think you doing in here?" 

"That is irrelevant. Let her go."

"Why don't you come over here and make me? Come on, console face, drop the blaster and let's go, man to man," Arthen spat, throwing Vel down to the side. He took off his shiny jacket and pushed up his sleeves, squaring up in an immense show of bravado before rushing toward him. Tech watched Vel crawl backward, getting some space from the approaching brute, before lifting his gaze back to Arthen. 

"Alright," Tech said, lifting a blaster and squeezing the trigger in one smooth motion. A bright blue flash enveloped Arthen, dropping him mid-run, and he landed unconscious with a few residual zaps of blue energy licking around his legs. 

Tech closed the remaining distance quickly and bent over Arthen, tucking in his blasters and placing a quick injection in the outstretched arm before rushing to Vel where she sat on the floor, arms propped up behind her. He knelt beside her, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder. "Are you alright?"

"Yes," she said, unwilling to meet his gaze. "Thank you, Tech."

His heart did a surprise somersault at the sound of his name on her lips, and Tech moved his hand from his shoulder to her chin, touching it but not applying any pressure, inviting her to look at him with no insistence that she did. "You are welcome. May I suggest a course of action?" 

"Yours is usually better than mine," she said, finally finding his eyes. The warmth and focus she saw there melted her remaining fear. 

"A short visit to the therapeutic hot springs followed by a restful night of sleep in safety," Tech responded factually, right back to business as usual. Vel let out a breath that she didn't know she was holding. There was far too much swirling around her mind, and the thought of settling down in peace and quiet to mull it all over was highly appealing.

"Yes please," she whispered. Without hesitation, he scooped her into his arms, rising to his feet without struggle and carrying her out of the comm center.