17. An Unexpected Encounter

Beginne am Anfang

"I was helping take care of my younger siblings," she said, "one of my younger siblings has been sick recently so he has required extra attention."

She twirled away from him again, keeping her eyes on his face to watch his reaction.

"Do you think he will be alright?" Gus asked, his hand taking hers. Clara paused before answering.

"I hope so, but currently the outlook doesn't look good." Gus's brows drew together and his mouth was settled in a decidedly small frown.

"Is he being looked after by your family currently? I couldn't help but notice that you have arrived alone each time."

"He is being watched by a family friend and my other two siblings. We do not have the luxury of having maids and my parents have not been around for a while now."

"Forgive me, but if he is so ill, should you not be at home with him, regardless of whether or not someone is watching him?" Clara actually did stumble with that question, but thankfully it was nearing the end of the dance and so it was barely noticed by anyone except Gus, who was now staring at her with thinly veiled disapproval.

What must he think of her? That she was the kind of sister to go off dancing while her little brother was home dreadfully ill?

They were both quiet as he wordlessly lead them away from the dance floor, favoring a spot by one of the marble pillars instead. Clara could feel her nervousness settling in her stomach like a swarm of hornets, and she had to focus not to let her hands shake a little.

"Sir, when I say that I would much rather be by my brother's bedside, I mean it, but it is his condition that pulled me away from him in the first place," Clara said, deciding that formality would be her best option.

Gus simply looked at her. Clara sighed, placing her hand momentarily to her forehead so as to close her eyes briefly without him seeing it. How could she explain that the reason she was here was that she was looking for a husband? How could she say that he was the only option to save her brother's life?

"I do not understand," Gus said, causing Clara to look up at him. "It can't be for monetary reasons, as your apparel has been obviously made of the finest material." Clara felt herself pale instead of her customary blush.

"That is- well, everything that you have seen me wear, from the jewelry to the gowns, to even the hair decorations, they were not bought, but created and borrowed."

Clara looked up at Gus, but she could see that he was still confused. How could she explain. She couldn't sell clothes or jewels that disappeared after a certain amount of time. But she couldn't just say that! "The friend who gave them to me has little need for money of any sort, she made all of this for me in order to help me."

"Even the glass slippers?"

"Even the glass slippers."

Clara found herself watching the other ball-goers as she waited impatiently for Gus to make a comment, to say anything at all. However, when she turned back to him she felt her heart skip a beat. His face, which had been in an agreeable smile for much of their conversation and single dance, was now completely blank as if he had somehow subtracted his emotions from his facial expression.

"So you have come to the ball to find a wealthy husband," Gus said, his voice cold and hard as steel. Clara bit her lip to try and keep herself from panicking. "Just like every other girl." He sounded like he was either disappointed or disgusted, perhaps even both.

Clara found herself feeling what could only be called a righteous anger of some sort. She raised her chin and pursed her lips before speaking.

"It could be seen that way, but that is not how I see it," she said, articulating every word with precision.