22

The Opening Ceremony had caused enough stress as it was, but the day that the actual performances started is ten times more difficult to endure.

Marlee's nervous by now, of course. She'd brushed her teeth twice this morning, and sprayed so much hairspray in her hair that her bun would not move an inch even if she tried to push it around with her hand.

Harry had paced around the room a lot. The constant feeling of anxiety in his stomach doesn't help his appetite. He keeps replaying the first routine in his mind, scared that he'll forget a move during the performance.

"You guys are more than ready," Brett assures them. "Just remember, keep your smiles on--" he gestures to his face "--and keep your chin tucked in a bit."

Harry and Marlee nod in unison. "The butterflies in my stomach are not helping at the moment," Marlee says, putting her arms around her waist.

"Butterflies?" Harry gapes. "They're more like killer bees than butterflies."

Brett shakes his head. "Just don't mess up." He walks back to the seats on the outside of the rink, leaving Harry and Marlee to the ice.

"What helpful advice, Brett," Harry says, laughing just the tiniest bit.

-

Both of their fears have to be pushed aside when they set foot on the ice. Harry takes her hands, looking her right in her nervous eyes. "This is gonna be good," he says to her quietly. She gives him a tense smile that errupts into a relaxed one once the music gets started. Their Short Dance routine--where they dance the Ravensburger Waltz--passes without any mistakes, and they head off the ice to hear their scores.

Marlee says she feels like screaming. "That. Was. Amazing," she squeals. Harry holds her hand tightly, waiting for their numbers.

"Seventy-nine points," the voice of the announcer says. Harry's and Marlee's mouths drop open. They congratulate each other in amazement. Higher than Matthew's team.

"Holy crap, we're good," Marlee breathes. Harry laughs, covering his mouth to muffle the noise.

Back at the hotel, Harry's father toasts to another good performance by the team. They all are proud to have done so well on the first day, and they head to bed early with high hopes for tomorrow.

-

"We're ready," Marlee beams after practice. She rubs her tired eyes. They woke up at four-thirty in the morning with exuberance and zest, but after two hours of a routine practice Harry and Marlee both are in need of some rest.

It's the day of the Free Dance. After they complete that routine, their total points will be added up and they'll receive a medal or not. The last day of the competition is the most rigorously judged, Brett says, so they need to keep their focus one-hundred percent.

"The Triple Axel is my favorite," Harry says excitedly. Loud enough so that Matthew's team can hear him as they walk by.

"We all know that, Harry." Marlee rolls her eyes teasingly. Harry ducks his head close to hers and kisses her cheek, laughing. He mimicks the jump on the floor, not nearly getting as much air as on the ice.

"Stay focused, Styles," Brett orders. "You've got to stay healthy and... not get injured."

Harry nods, biting his lip to stay composed. "Right. No funny business, Mars."

Marlee giggles, and Brett rolls his eyes. "You two are so unproffesional."

After a long day of waiting, the time has come. Marlee and Harry sit together on the sidelines, watching the pair before them dance--Matthew's kids. They are awarded a total of one-hundred points. "That's a lot," Harry breathes. His heart starts to beat faster. He takes deep breaths, trying to calm down before they have to go out themselves. What if they don't beat them?