The restaurant was one of the larger, more known options in this city. I frequented it often for business meals or with family in the past, but I'd never brought a date here. Almost all of the staff knew of me, especially since I was close with the Chef de Cuisine. 

Even so, tonight was going to be more spectacular than just an expensive dinner in a fancy restaurant. In the short time that I've had to get to know Kalen, I could tell that money was not something that would impress him easily. If I was to win his heart, it would take some out-of-the-box thinking.

When the hostess greeted us, I nodded in response, turning Kalen to the left to make our way into a barely visible hallway. He turned his head over his shoulder to shoot me a confused look, which I only met with a glowing grin.

"Is this the right way to a table, Sorren?"

I hummed in response, "You'll have to wait and see, bambino."

At the end of the hall stood a shorter man dressed in an expensive suit, who dipped his head in respect as we approached.

"It's all set to your standards, sir," he gestured behind himself, to a staircase. I nodded in thanks as I took Kalen's hand, to tenderly pull him behind me, climbing the stairs. When I looked back to check on him, I could see the wheels turning in his mind, trying to make sense of it all. The anxiety of the situation was getting to me, causing butterflies to fill my stomach. 

Dating wasn't something I usually put much thought into, let alone effort. For once, someone in my life was worth that thought and especially that effort. The nerves of Kalen's potential reaction started weighing on me as we neared the heavy metal door at the top of the staircase. Everything needed to be perfect for such a perfect man.

I pushed the door open with my shoulder, "Welcome to our private evening."

Sat before us was the restaurant's rooftop, encased by a stone ledge. It was completely secluded from the people thrumming in the city down below. Some feet in front of us was a small table, with two chairs. I requested an evening alone, so already the placement was set. It included two dinners and a dessert to share, illuminated by candlelight. 

I pulled one of the chairs out, gesturing for Kalen to take a seat. I took my place across from him, while he eyes the table eagerly.

"This is all so grand, Sorren," he said in astonishment.

"For once, I get to surprise you," I teased. On a more serious note, I directed, "Now, for dinner, we'll be having Ravioli Alla Genovese, one of my favorite dishes."

I swiftly removed the covers over both our plates, revealing the pasta dish before us. Kalen was smiling widely, nodding his head eagerly.

"Afterwards, I hand-picked our treat of choice, the Delizia al Limone, or known as the Lemon Delight," I explained. I gestured again to Kalen, this time to prompt him to start eating. "Then, when ready, we'll enjoy each other's company while star-gazing."

Kalen was giggling, placing his napkin in his lap. I raised an eyebrow in question when he looked up to meet my eyes. He blushed feverishly once again.

"I-It's just so...nice," he put simply.

I hummed, smiling softly at his innocence, "You deserve nice, bello. I plan on giving you 'nice' for as long as you allow me to." 

_________

Kalen and I both got comfortable on the blanket already set out for our benefit. There were small pillows too, for our heads to rest against. To the side, a bucket of ice, with wine was waiting, so I began pouring a glass for each of us.