Chapter 89. Graduation

In Cemetery, Alaric, I, Jessica, Jeremy and Elena are eating lunch together. Alaric through a full mouth "Mm. Oh, my god."

We laugh.

Jeremy nods "Mm."

Jessica says "I missed food in my mouth"

Elena says "No grease on the Other Side, huh?"

Alaric says "You have no idea how much I've missed this" holds up a bottle of bourbon "And this" I take the bottle "No, hey. Hey!"

I take a swig "I missed you guys"

Jeremy says "She just got her humanity back. Let her live a little."

Jessica smiles "You were a badass"

I say "You mean bitch" Jeremy reaches for the bottle. I hold it away from him "Hey, you wish."

Jeremy says "I'm dead – what are they gonna do, throw me in juvie?"

Alaric says "Well, at least you'd have a place to live." Smiling 

Elena and I start throwing food at them.

Elena says "You both suck!"

Alaric says "Hey! Now there it is – that smile. I wasn't sure we were gonna see that again."

I'm still smiling, but more sadly, my eyes glistening "I did some pretty terrible things." I take a deep breath.

Jeremy says "Hey, no. No tears. If Caroline was right, we only have until tonight. We need a no-crying rule."

Jessica says "Yes, and Mason here" she dances. 

I kick her leg "Behave"

Elena says "But the crying's good. It means that she finally feeling something, and right now"

I take their hands in each of mine "I feel happy." They smile back at me. 

Elena's phone starts ringing. She takes it out and looks at it "It's the Grill – it must be Matt" answers it "Hey, you went AWOL this morning – what happened?"

It's a familiar, unexpected voice. Connor says "Hello, Elena, Eliana. It's your dead friend, Connor. You remember me?"

Elena and I are shocked.

Connor is still on the phone with Elena and I overhear. The shots alternate between the Grill and the cemetery.

Connor says "We want Silas, and we want the cure."

Elena says "I don't know where they are, so I guess I can't help you."

Connor says "Huh. Well, you know who's gonna need some help? Grandma and Grandpa Jones, in town for the big high school graduation, along with Auntie Sue and Uncle Mark..."

Alaric motions to us that he's going to do something. Elena nods.

Connor says "Matter of fact, everybody here at the Mystic Grill for graduation brunch. You either give me what I want, or they die."

Elena says "Please, don't hurt anyone. I'll find Silas and I'll get the cure."

Connor says "Good. Get it done." He hangs up. 

Jessica says "Well that's creepy but I think Alaric will kick his ass"

I say "I'm sure of that"

Mason appears and nods "Me too"

I jump scared "You love being a ghost, Mason"

《♡♡♡♡♡》

In Salvatore Boarding House, Damon is rubbing his shoulder uncomfortably as he checks himself in the mirror in his room.