CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

(set in new moon)

(set in new moon)

━━━━━━ THE DAYS THAT PASSED FAILED TO CHANGE, no matter how many.

Eden woke up with Emmett by her side, he kissed her good morning before departing to do whatever it is he did during the day, then she spent her time coaxing her sister out of the coma she had put herself in. It was November, Edward had left almost two months ago and it wasn't being received very well at all, unfortunately.

Bella sat in the same rocking chair that their mother sat in with them when they were babies and the one Eden would sit in with Sophia when she had her days and nights mixed up. She stared out the window as the days blended together and the seasons faded into the next.

She hardly ate, she rarely showered even. She went to school, and she sat at the Cullen's old table all by her lonesome. According to Ange, she didn't want company. Not that anyone wanted to sit with the girl that got dumped and barely even lived anymore. Bella was a shell of the person she once was. Though, they hadn't talked much lately or got along since the ballet studio, Eden would take the spiteful little lovesick sister that she had grown to be over the walking bag of bones she was now.

Eden knocked softly on the slightly ajar door— Charlie didn't like when it was shut completely, worried sick out of his mind that she would do something that he couldn't bear to think about, let alone speak. Bella didn't turn to look at her, nor did she acknowledge her. That's how it typically went. Eden would bring in a new book, or a video of Sophia at soccer practice, or a meal of some kind. Sue had been sweet enough to make some freezer meals for them and had been by the house a few times to check on her.

"Hey," Eden greeted. No answer.

Bella was immobile. She didn't turn to greet her, she may not have even been aware that she was there. The breakfast Eden had brought in that morning sat untouched on the night table.

"Mom sent you this," Eden looked down at the package in her hands. It was square, and it was a little bit heavy. "She said when her and Phil went to India over the summer that this woman gave her this herbal tea that's supposed to help with anxiety and stuff. Mom didn't understand why she needed it." Eden chuckled, trailing off with a sigh. "I'm going to leave this here if you want to open it later. I think it has some other stuff in it, too, so..."

Bella didn't appear to have heard a single word she said. Eden walked to the door, a sluggishness to her slow gait. She stopped short of the doorway, wanting to say something to make her speak, but not knowing what to say.

"I—" A creak made her look up. A large shadow at the end of the hall made her squint. The glow of his golden eyes guided hers to the slow shake of his head. She folded her lips in, before pursing them and pulling the door to a crack once more.

He was there in an instant, his palm curling around the back of her neck to pull her forehead to his lips. "I know you want help her, baby, but you can't help someone that doesn't want to be helped."

Eden frowned. "She's lifeless, just sitting in there, wasting away."

His thumb ran over the skin over her carotid. The cool touch raised goosebumps on her skin, with her abdomen clenching in response. It's what being near him did to her. It made her nervous and excited at the same time, even if what he was doing right now was comforting her, she couldn't help the zoo of butterflies that swam around in her stomach.

"She's adjusting. You just have to give her time."

"You think I haven't? You think that Charlie hasn't? All she has had is time." She argued. Her eyebrows were furrowed and her mouth was pursed tightly. Emmett sighed softly, shaking his head.

"She was dumped, Eden—"

"No, Emmett," she scowled. "She was abandoned. Your jackass of a brother fucking left her in the God blessed forest, like the carcass of a deer he just drained, and left to rot and wither away!"

He winced, his free coming up to stop her. "Eden, you have to put yourself in his shoes—"

"It's not him I'm mad at." His hand fell to his side as his brows dipped towards his golden eyes that yielded confusion. Her hand waved to the cracked door down the hall. "I get that she is upset, and she loved him or whatever, but this is not the end of the world." Her voice lowered to a whisper she knew he would hear. "She is a walking corpse, and I may not know what she's going through, because I have you, and you are the best, but this isn't the worst thing that'll ever happen to her. It might seem like it now, but she is eighteen years old. Her life is just getting started, and while Edward may be the first, she has a real chance to find the one." She licked her lips, finding them to be dry.

"I wish that things were different, God, do I ever, but she can't go on like this. I'm gonna talk to dad and see if maybe he can call mom and ask if she can stay with her for a bit until she gets better."

He nodded. "If that's what you want to do."

"You don't agree?"

His mouth opened, before it closed and let out a grim chuckle. "It's not that, it's just..."

"Just what?" She frowned.

Emmett shrugged. "Bella wants him to come back. Do you really think she'll leave if she think there's even a minuscule chance he would come back?"

Edward had been gone for months, with no contact with anyone. Esme talked to her once a week, and she nor Carlisle had heard from him. It was probable that he tossed his old phone, especially after the dozens of calls and messages his family had flooded his voice mailbox with. She had even left one or two not so kind messages she wasn't proud of.

Emmett had a point. Forks was now a symbol to Bella; it was where she met Edward, and it was where he'd put down roots with his family. He had came back twice before after he ventured off on his own. But was it even possible he would come back in her lifetime?

"I do think you should bring it up to Charlie, though. Even if she doesn't go for it."

Eden nodded. "'Kay."

He brought her into his arms, his chest serving as her own personal shield as her arms enveloped him, not that they wrapped around him fully. "It'll be okay."

She sighed into his chest. "I hope so."

━━━━━━