Chapter 19

The smell of nail polish fills the small room as Audrey has her weekly pedicure. I lay across the overstuffed couch playing with on of the bottles "you know you shouldn't be playing with that, only so much we can make and I doubt it's on the priority list of you drop it" Audrey drawls. I throw it up in the air and catch it expertly with one hand "nobody would miss..." I inspect the printed out colour "cheddar yellow" the manicure woman glance to me "I have a woman who uses that colour regularly" she states bluntly. I bite my lip "okay, I get it" I put it back in her basket. I lay back down but I feel someone's gaze on me, I turn my head to see Audrey studying me "what?" I ask. She breaks out of her daydream and shakes her head in order to clear her thought "sorry I kinda dazed out there" she says sheepishly. I roll my eye and giggle, she chuckles. The laughter quickly stops when Ruth hurries in clutching a familiar red velvet folder. She smiles "good morning ladies" she greets. I don't sit up just lazily raise my hand in a weak wave "morning Ruth" Audrey says. Ruth unzips the folder and holds out a folded piece of paper to Audrey "it's addressed to you". There's a heavy silence as Audrey reads the words, I close my eyes and listen to the train, pressing my hand against the wall to feel the rhythm. Ruth waits expectedly "well?". I keep my eyes closed "It's an invitation to Big Alice" Audrey says bluntly. I shift uncomfortably "Oh, well, lucky you." I snort and Ruth's response, if only it was so "we'd better inform Layton, think he's up in the engine at the moment"

Audrey quickly gets dressed and we both head up to the engine. I knew Layton was going to be here, wasn't a random guess. He like to check on the weather ballon progress from the night before. They drop their discussion when they see us "don't worry, we let ourselves in. Audrey has gotten a personal invitation" I say as I slip into a seat. Audrey hands the paper to Layton "A cordial invitation to dine together as we pass the forbidden city" he reads aloud before handing it back to Audrey who holds it close to her chest "But also Tibet. We traveled there years ago." I frown, that explains the long blissful periods of time when Wilford would just disappear. Layton leans against the glass "We're asking an awful lot of you. You good with this?" He checks . She nods quickly "I understand. We need to protect ourselves" she repeats. I clench my teeth, I get how this is going down. Layton stares into her eyes "Only if you can protect yourself".

Javi looks troubled "How do you know he won't just lock the door and keep you there?" He asks naively. I sometimes forget he never got to know the real Wilford. Audrey smirks "Joseph wouldn't hold me against my will. It's not his way. And we need this, and I can do it... At least find out what's going on over there." There's determination I'm he voice but I'm doubtful if she can hold on to it for too long. Ben sighs and pulls up the all important panel "This is the comms panel. It's only got one screw." He holds up the screwdriver to show her "On Big Alice, it's a red box attached to a wall in his back engine. There was a flaw in the prototype fixed in ours. You switch these two wires, we can hear everything he says. He won't be able to tell if his comms are turned on or off.". If we can pull this plan it's one big advantage for us and an even bigger one for him. He could speak his plans to us without even knowing we're listening in. And with that in mind he hands the small screwdriver to Audrey, and with that we disperse. Javi leaving with Audrey and Layton to go to the daily meeting.

Ben puts the train on auto driver, and stands up "come on there's some work we need to do down below" he says. I grab the tool kit and follow him down. We settle into working in a comfortable silence. This goes on for 20 minutes until I need to clump up to reach a wire. He holds the ladder steady as I ascend the steps. I pull the drawer out to reveal a rats nest of wires "can you pass me a new fuse" he quickly grabs one and hands it up. I switch it out for the one that's blown, thankfully the blown fuse couldn't cause much damage but if you don't pay attention to the small tasks they can cause even bigger and more difficult ones later. I move some wires out of the way to reach the one I want "how was the launch party" he asks curiously. I nod as I work "umm it was good, great really. A successful evening" a couple of sparks fly and I cover my eyes for second. I return to the project "Roche told me" he states bluntly. I hum "about what, I didn't get too drunk just 5 gin and tonics and a rum and coke.... Did I tell you I caught up with-" he interrupts "stop eve. Just stop" I shove the drawer closed and descend the stepladder. I'm not about to go through a heart to heart session. He grabs my shoulder "please, we need to sort this out" he says softly. I shake my, playing with my fingers "what can we do? If we were to go after every person I've had unconsensual sex with... we'd have to prosecute half of first class. No it's not worth it". He looks upset "when we got rid of him, we decided that you would never have to feel out of control again. After all he put you through.... This shouldn't have happened. It was meant to be a fun night for you". I smile "and it was, 90% of it. And I'm grateful I got that". I look down "did you tell Javi?" I inquire. He shakes his head "no, but I think you should". That is the last thing I'm gong to do "No, and don't you dare tell him. This is my thing and I decide who and when I tell people." I whisper. My watch beeps "now if you'll excuse me I've got work down train"