Chapter 4

Sasuke Says.

September 15th, 10:07

Naruto awoke with a start when loud, heavy footsteps banged around upstairs and for one, disorienting moment, the blond had absolutely no idea where he was. Slowly, the previous day's events returned to him, and an involuntary shiver wracked his body. He didn't want to think about Ayuu any more than absolutely necessary, and he really hoped Essyu kept his word about keeping him in line.

Shifting backwards so he was against the wall, one hand clutched at the front of his shirt, bunching up the material covering his stomach. He'd known that Ayuu was just doing it to scare him, and to punish his dad, but there had been more. It was almost like he was doing it for himself, and not to make Minato suffer. Would he have gone further had Essyu not stopped him? If the other had just sat there, or even left the room, would Ayuu have reached into his pants and...

Naruto exhaled sharply, not wanting to think about it. He'd only ever jacked off a few times in his life-odd for a teenager, of course, but given his mental state, not all that unusual-and the thought of someone else doing it...

He swallowed hard, wondering just what, exactly, Ayuu was going to do to him once he found out his father wasn't going to pay. What would he do? How angry would he get? How far would he go...?

"Are you even awake? I can't tell."

Naruto jumped so high he was surprised he didn't hit the ceiling and sat bolt upright on the futon. "Jesus, fuck, Essyu!" He reached up to cover his face, finding the action awkward with the plaster. "Fuck. Don't scare me like that. Fuck." His heart slammed against his ribs and he struggled to calm himself down. "Shit, and here I thought I was doing pretty okay with hearing you guys come down."

"You were snoring pretty loudly when I did, might explain why you didn't hear me."

Oh, brilliant, Essyu was watching him sleep again. That wasn't creepy at all. Naruto reached up to make sure he hadn't been drooling, though he didn't know why he cared. Pride, he supposed. He was already lacking in that at the moment.

"You know, watching someone sleep is kinda creepy."

"I wasn't watching you sleep, and even if I was, it was to make sure you weren't going to wake up and escape." He could tell Essyu was kind of insulted at the assumption, and Naruto rolled his eyes behind his mask. "I was reading."

Naruto heard pages being turned, as if Essyu were purposefully turning them loudly to ensure Naruto knew without a shadow of a doubt that he had a book in his hands. Naruto knew it was a book, because magazines didn't sound like that.

"Down here?" Naruto inquired after stretching a little.

"Ayuu doesn't want you left unattended for too long."

"Yeah, because I'm really gonna be going anywhere," Naruto said dryly, resisting the urge to roll his eyes again. Really, the action was lost when the other party couldn't see it. "So you're stuck babysitting?"

"I have a book. The only difference right now is I'm reading it in the chair here instead of the one in the kitchen."

The blond wondered why he wouldn't be reading it in his room, but he doubted he'd get a reply to that, so he didn't bother asking. Instead, he said, "What book are you reading?"

"Ice Station, by Matthew Reilly." Essyu hesitated, as if wondering whether or not to say something, but then probably decided it was safe since he continued. "I've read it eight times. It's my favourite book."

Really?" Naruto tried to dredge up the author in his mind. He was a bit of a bookwork during the summer, since Kiba's family usually went away and video games could only entertain him for so long. He didn't remember ever coming across that particular author. "Never heard of the guy."