1.1

training throughout the week is in preparation for their two city games and for their fa cup fixture against chelsea shortly after the international break. their champions league quarterfinal isn't until the end of march, playing bayern. they are however spending lots of time reviewing film on their remaining fixtures in the wsl. by the end of the week, caitlin feels as if her eyes could fall off staring at a screen for so long. she is trying to retain all the information that is important to her. steph and her stay back for extra film on the city right back, to see what they can take advantage of. after the film session, caitlin and steph join the girls for one last training session. throughout the week, her foot has been feeling fine, aside from the sting here and there during training sessions.

2 days before they're set to face city for the first time, caitlin makes plans to go out with a couple of teammates to pick some berries. katie and ruesha pick up caitlin before they pick up leah and jordan next.

"hey jordy! do you need a booster seat?" ruesha asks as soon as jordan steps foot into the car.

"nice to see you too rue," jordan says as leah chuckles. katie puts in the gps for the orchard as she chatters excitedly about the upcoming games. caitlin entertains herself beside leah chatting about her return to international football, the arnold clark cup, the cup of nations, and other stuff. caitlin can't help but notice how leah's always got her hand on jordan, whether it be that their fingers are entwined or she's simply got it on her lap.

as they pick their berries, jordan entertains herself by eating a couple as they go along. caitlin spends most of the day talking to leah, who is extremely talkative when the conversation shifts to caitlin's love life.

"you know, you're gonna burn holes into the back of
her neck if you don't stop staring at her," caitlin perks.

"at least i've got someone to stare at, who have you got foord?" leah snaps back. caitlin's been friends with leah long enough that she knows her tone is banter. she still can't help but feel like she's missing out on something. something that almost all her friends have already experienced, love.

"you know, i've never actually heard it before." caitlin finally speaks up after a moment of slight awkwardness.

"heard what?"

"you and jordan, how you met, how you got together, all the sappy stuff ya know? you've never told me." caitlin replies carefully.

"oh god!" leah says doubling over. "it's been so long since somebody asked me that, can't remember the last time i've recalled it. the story's not really interesting, i'll have you know." leah says rambling on.

"tell me anyways, we've got loads of time."

"well, we became friends at first, none of that love at first sight stuff you may hear about, and-"

"how'd you become friends?" caitlin snickers.

"seriously?" she pauses, before waiting for a response, she continues anyways. "that's boring as well, after i made my debut for arsenal, we had a team dinner. i was so lucky to be seated next to the jordan nobbs, i was terrified of course. sitting there with a bunch of people i looked up to growing up, casually having a dinner, but jordan kept me entertained."

"knowing you, you must've been fine, survived the dinner at least right? i mean you're standing right in front of me, and you're okay?!" caitlin responds sarcastically.

"the dinner wasn't all that bad, i mostly talked to jordan, she was really friendly which caught me off guard. but yeah, after that lovely dinner we just kept hanging out more. didn't really take young leah that long to realize that she liked jordan more than just friends," leah finishes sheepishly.