When I was finally directly in front of him, save the counter, a wide smile split across his face. "While this has been such a joy, Kalen, I bid you adieu," he teased in a sarcastic tone.

I rolled my eyes at him, shrugging my shoulders, "So you've got some other innocent soul to pester and stalk now? How lucky for them..."

He laughed softly, watching me closely still, which made the hair of my neck stand up. "As I said, I knew I liked you. Well, anyways," he started moving towards the door as he spoke, "you'll see me again soon enough. Can't get rid of me that easily."

Then he was gone.

I stood alone in the cafe, staring at the closed door. Every day, I get more and more confused about the things happening around me. I guess I would just have to come to terms with being left in the dark- for now at least.

I shook the interaction from my thoughts, moving on to finish the tasks at hand. It was already almost closing time and I'd only finished about half of the things I needed to before I could leave.

Time ticked past slowly as I wiped the counters and finished sweeping the floors. I stood in the storage room, in the back of the cafe, when I heard the front door open again.

Shit, I forgot to lock it, I mentally kicked myself.

"Sorry, we've closed now actually," I called out to the front of the store, making my way back. When I reached the doorway of the storage room, I saw a different man standing in front of the counter.

Sorren.

For the first time in two weeks, he was standing in the same room as me. I shook my head, laughing ironically to myself. 

"No, no, we are closed. I need you to leave," I emphasized. I made small steps in his direction, having no intention of getting close, and pointed toward the front door. "You need to leave..." I trailed off.

He was smiling, softly. Something I've only seen him do a handful of times. Clasped in his hands, which I only just noticed, was a bouquet of flowers. 

"Flowers?" I seethed, grinding my teeth to keep from cursing at him. He thinks he can waltz back into my life, show me flowers, and everything would be better?

I think not.

"My mother taught me that no apology is complete without flowers," he took small steps in my direction too, following the edge of the counter. "You'd be surprised how often my father came home with them..."

He chuckled to himself, shaking his head. Soon enough, he stood at the end of the counter, just ahead of me. Yet, he made sure to keep a good space between us. 

"I don't want to be like my father, dolcezza. I want to be better."

This time it was him chewing on his lip, eyes glued to the flowers in his hand. It was unlike him to lack to confidence to look me in the eyes. 

"Sorren, your life..." I struggled to explain. With the insinuation of Sorren's work, his eyes rose to meet mine. His forehead was creased with worry. 

"It's not something I'm comfortable with. I'm not safe there. I'm not safe with you..." I spoke what we both already knew. 

"I know," he sighed. "I know that- I do. I know the life I live is dangerous, but I would never put you in danger's way. I wouldn't." 

He ran one of his hands through his hair, eyes flashing from me to the flowers and back again. "I can't get you out of my head, Kalen. And part of me hopes you can't get me out of yours..."

I shook my head, tears brimming my eyes. "That doesn't matter, Sorren. What about tomorrow? And the next day? I've had strange men following me around for over two weeks. I've been knocked out with a gun and tied up. I've been assaulted and threatened. These aren't normal interactions for people and I'm scared."

"Do I scare you?"

The question made me freeze. I could hear a hint of pain in his voice and it made my heart ache. I wanted nothing more than to soothe it all away for him. 

But, did he scare me? 

I didn't know the full extent of things, but I knew Sorren did scary things. I knew Sorren lived a scary life. I knew Sorren worked with scary people. I knew all these things, yet I never once felt scared with him in the room. I never felt scared of him. I felt safe, actually. 

Sorren might make me feel a lot of different ways, but he always made me safe.

"No," I told him confidently. "No, you don't."

He took the last few steps toward me and I didn't move away. I let him stand close. I wanted him close. 

"Then, let me make it up to you, amore mio. I'm sorry for everything. I'm sorry for not telling you everything sooner. I'm sorry for my men taking you and hurting you. I'm sorry for having Vance tail you, I needed to prove to everyone that my trust in you is well placed. None of this will ever happen again, Kalen. You have my word. You won't have to worry about being in danger ever again as long as you have me."

When he held out the bouquet of flowers, I took them slowly into my own hands. His words sounded genuine and I could feel myself accepting them. 

"Will you?" he whispered. My brow creased in confusion and I looked up at him for more explanation. "Will you have me?" he smiled softly. His fingers came up to graze my cheek. 

"Yes," I responded, smiling softly in return. 

A part of me was fearful still. Fearful of the unknown that lingered in the future. On the other hand, the strong part of me longed for Sorren and the connection I'd never felt with anyone else other than him.

"Then, would you do me the honor of accompanying me on a date?"

I chuckled softly as I rolled my eyes at him. He grinned wider at my response. "Getting all formal on me now? I'm guessing your mom taught you how to be a gentleman as well as the flowers?"

"She taught me a lot of things, amore mio", and he kissed me softly on the forehead.

.x.

Definitely a sappy chapter, but I hope you guys enjoyed the continued build-up of their relationship.

As a friendly reminder, I am happy to receive any and all feedback as long as it is kind. I love talking with my readers about the story as well, so be sure to comment. 

This is the bouquet I envision Sorren bringing