Chapter 1

17 years later
It is a sunny day in the medieval city of
brenhinol. Golau Brenhinol is the capital city of the Diune Empire. The Diune have ruled the western shores for over two millennia, however in recent years with the death of King Fiamond there have been tales of discontent among the daoine nas lugha. In recent months, there has been a stir caused by the disappearance of several champions missing. All of them have disappeared under mysterious circumstances either never returning or completely back on the verge of death. Those that usually return had received wounds from what appeared to be crude weapons or by claws. None have woken up yet, causing many to say that some dark cult or another Desmond had returned. To stop the rumors the royal council has anyone speaking such thing jailed.
This morning however appears to start as any other morning, peacefully until we hear a commotion coming from the champions quarters of the royal castle.
We did a teenage boy running down the halls towards the sparring rooms. His name is Squire Baleor and he's late training with Sir Neil. I'm going to be late for my training session with Sir Neil. He'll never let me go on my first real mission, with such mishaps." He thought frantically, squire usually go on their first mission around their fifteenth birthday. Baleor hasn't even left the capital city since he arrived thirteen years ago. "The other squires would never let me live this down" As he is saying this, he accidentally bumps into a aged general. Baleor    helps the man and continues running to the sparring room. As he running away, he yells back, "Sorry, General Rismer it won't happen again."
General Rismer shakes his head, "Why do we even let the fedorati tribes become champions. They are too uncivilized to protect people even themselves."  General Rismer is a man in his mid sixties with greying brown, dressed in a ceremonial breastplate over a purple toga. A aide rushes to his side asking, "Are you okay sir? Do you want me to fetch the squire for punishment." 'No," Rismer shakes his head, "I have something else in mind for them"
Shortly after this Baleor finally reaches the training room for his sparring match. The training room is spacious area lined with Ionian columns, statues of the greatest hero's of man and myths. On the floors of the rooms are murals depicting scenes from stories of the past and from myths. As Baleor scans the rooms he finally spots his mentor Sir Justinian, one of the greatest figures of the Champions Order. He was the one who was able to save the kingdom's military after the ambush from the Barbarian tribes. He has the appearance of a man in his late fortes with a salt pepper hair and a beard. He's wearing the standard training outfit of leather jerkin armor with trainings swords.
Once Justinian sees Baleor he shouts, " How was your beauty sleep Goldilocks. Are you ready to get in the training ring or do you need more time with your hospitallar friend?" Baleor quickly stammered out, "No sir, I simply lost track of time last night and lost track of time. It won't happen again sir." Justinian shook his head in exasperation and sighed, "Make sure it doesn't happen again." Baleor quickly got into his training outfit and entered the ring. Once he entered the ring, Justinian asked him if he was ready to begin and Baleor nodded in affirmation as a response and thus the spar started.
During the spar both were going at a speed that most watching could not follow easily. As the sparring continues, Baleor decided to ask Justinian about what he heard last night. "Sir, last night I heard that council is planning on sending a new expeditionary force to investigate the recent incidents. Is this true or are they just rumors?" Justinian furrows his brows at the question as if he is thinking about how to answer the question. After a few minutes he finally settles on his answer, he gets out of his fighting stance and says" let's end our sparring match here. You have been making rapid progress in your fighting style, all you need right now is confidence in yourself. As for your question, yes there has been some talk among the royal councilors, but thank to various reasons they have not decided on any one course as of yet. I would not be surprised if they did eventually send a force to investigate only if to restore confidence in their rule. I would volunteer the two of us to go on it if really does happen."
"Really, sir that means a lot coming from you." Baleor said respectfully, this was the first time that he felt like he belonged somewhere since his mother died. When he and his mother arrived here with a reference letter from his uncle, he was bullied and threatened for being too barbarian. It wasn't until he made his first friend in Florence that the bullying had died down.
Baleor was brought out of his musings when he heard someone calling his mentors name. It was a man wearing the sigil of the king. He was out out of breath as though he had been running a marathon. "The council wants to see you Sir Justinian, they have a very important mission for you." He said in between puffs of breath. "I will be there shortly after I clean up." He said before heading towards the showers. "Sir they also want to bring Baleor to the meeting because the mission is for him as well. Since I have given the message I will be taking my leave." The courier said as he left.
"Sir, what should I wear to the meetings what should I do, there is so much that needs to be done." Baleor said as he panicked. Justinian sighed as he remembered that Baleor panicked whenever he got excited or when things did not go his way. He grabbed his shoulder, "Calm down and breath. Go get cleaned up and meet me outside the chamber in your formal wear, just let me do the talking and everything will be fine." Baleor nodded and rushed to his room to freshen up. As he left his room in his formal wear, Baleor noticed that there more country gentry in the castle, which was weird since the high nobles held the belief that if they'd not come from the capital then they were all of the common stock. As Baleor got closer to his destination he noticed a familiar face from the academy. It was Daniel, one of the bullies from his childhood and his gang. Daniel was of average height, had muddy brown hair and was always ranked at the top of the class. His teachers always said that he was the next leader of the order.
Daniel was harass one of the messengers demanding that he tell him who he delivered the summons to. "Listen here you sniveling coward, tell me who is more important than me for the council to summon." He made a threatening gesture as he knocked the content of the courier's pouch all over the place. One of Daniels lackeys, Han, "Well, Well, well if it's not Baleor has Justinian finally given up on you."
"Hey if it isn't the mutt. Guys get a look at this, I guess the king has decided that he's finally had enough of the barbarian tarnishing the order name and is going to execute him. It's about time I think he should of been dealt with a long time ago." Daniel stated. "Oh shut up Daniel, you're just mad that I'm receiving my missions from the king himself. Or is it your jealous that Justinian picked me over you?" Baleor retorted proudly. Daniel balled his fist and started moving towards Baleor. However before he could start anything, Hans pulled on his shoulder and pointed saying, "Hey man I would not start anything in front of Justinian."
Justinian it seems had appeared out of thin air. He gave stern glare and said, I'm sure you did not mean to harass that fine man. Am I right or should I tell your mentor that you should be disciplined for your actions" Daniel shapely nods and said, "No sir, it was a simple misunderstanding. Guys we should help that man." Daniel and his gang rushed off to go help the courier pick up the papers they had scattered. Are you okay Baleor" He asked, his glare softening. "Yes sir, I am ready when you are. Baleor responded. "Then let's go and receive our mission kid." Justinian said. Baleor felt like he could take on the world and was excited to receive his mission.