1. Chivalry is Dead

Start from the beginning

I look at my boss leaving work before it gets dark. I tried to negotiate with Mr. Simmons. To raise my concerns, but it falls on deaf ears. I'm not the strong type. I'm shy and keep to myself. The others speak up, and they get the morning and afternoon shifts. I try to look for other jobs. But jobs are scarce, and I need to pay the bills.

Beggars can't be choosers.

I divert my eyes back to the computer screen at the extensive catalogue of weapons I can get for sale to protect myself from the soulless fiends.

'Keychain Brass Knuckles' it packs a scalding punch! Get it now for $399.

'Ray Flashlight' with three times the power of the sun! Now for only $250 – 30% off.

'Zinc Pepper Spray' blinds for thirty seconds, a moment between life and death! Only for $299.

I scan the catalogue with its exorbitant prices. Damn! Security is expensive. Corporations filling their greedy pockets with supply and demand. The only defence weapon I can afford is a tactical pen made of brass tucked safely in my bag delivered yesterday.

Humans found a way to protect themselves against vampires. To subdue their dominance and power that held over us for centuries with weapons created by technology that can overpower them. It seems they aren't as mighty as they previously thought hundreds and hundreds of years ago. Who knew a mixture of copper and zinc could protect us? Vampires can't touch brass.

Once brass turned into bullets. It became a problem.

It frightened them.

Humans outnumbered vampires by millions, forcing them to agree to the treaty. But protection comes at a cost, and I can't afford it.

So, I choose to stay indoors at night. They are still creatures of the dark. Night walkers, that no matter what anybody says, are still on the top of the food chain. I'm fearful to walk about when the moon comes to life in the black sky. I dare not go. Too afraid to spot one. I avoided them for so long and like it that way.

The only comfort I have is they can't enter my home. It's the only free protection against the vampires that stands the test of time. The invitation. You have to invite them in willingly into your dwelling. Something I would never do and never will.

I scowl inside as I watch Mr. Simmons leave with a cheery smile, while the sun sinks beyond the tall concrete buildings. He waves happily goodbye to the bait that's left behind.

How can he be so cruel to leave us to work after the sun goes down?

We are five left for the evening shift scattered at our desks. Two men, Mark and Aaron, and two women, including me. My eyes gaze at the other only woman — the red-haired with a flirtatious smile, typing away in the far corner of the spacious office while she speaks through her headset.

Billie is her name, and she's new to Clinocare Telemarketing. Her fingers meticulously slather red lipstick on her pouty lips through the camera of her laptop. Her fingers wiping the smudges at the corner of her mouth as she watches her gorgeous reflection on the screen.

Gossip went around work; she had a bloodsucking boyfriend.

If it was true, the rumor boggled my mind. How can a human be with an immortal? How did it even work?

I rub the left side of my temple, not bothering to know the answers.

Placing the headset over my ears, I close my eyes, taking in a deep breath. Work needs to be done. The phone line blinks, and I take the incoming call.