Chapter 18 - Part 1

Start from the beginning

I didn't have time for this. My chest rose and fell with every hurried breath.

"I can't do this now," I said as I got my car keys out my jean pockets. It was then I realised I was missing my phone. I had left it upstairs.

I dropped the bag and went upstairs. It was only when I got to my parents' room to look for my phone did I realize Aiden had followed me.

"What's going on Reece?" he asked

I put a hand to my head as I tried to remember where I had put my phone.

"Reece." His voice louder.

"What?" I snapped, scanning the room and I couldn't find my phone.

"Stop," he said taking hold of my arms. "What's wrong?"

I blinked. My eyes stung and a lump formed in my throat. I swallowed hard, trying to keep myself from having a meltdown right then and there.

"What is it?" he asked, softly. "Let me help you."

I nodded but I still couldn't speak for fear I wouldn't be able to pull myself together.

"I need you to tell me what's going on?" his tone was strong and comforting.

My eyes watered and a tear slid down my face. My bottom lip trembled.

"You're scaring me Reece. Say something," he whispered.

"It's my mom... she's in hospital." I sobbed.

All the emotion I'd been bottling the past few weeks overwhelmed me all at once.

He gathered me in his arms and hugged me. "It's okay," he murmured.

I cried even though I didn't want to. I wanted to be able to get my shit together so I could go to the hospital with the stuff my mom needed.

Just when I calmed myself down I pushed away from Aiden. "My mom fainted and... she's in the hospital...uh she bumped her head pretty hard."

"Stop," he commanded, taking hold of my shoulders. His levelled his eyes with mine. "I'll drive you to the hospital."

I shook my head. "Why are you even here?" I asked, coming out of my panicked haze.

"Let's get you to the hospital in one piece and we can talk later. Okay?"

I nodded. The most important thing was getting to the hospital. Everything else could be dealt with later.

"I can't find my phone," I admitted.

My mind felt scrambled and I couldn't seem to think straight.

He scanned the room and found my phone which was on the side table. "Here."

"Thanks," I said, feeling relieved

He ushered me out of the house, and into his car as I held onto the duffel bag.

He drove to the hospital in silence. I was fine with it, I wasn't in the mood for talking. The only thing on my mind was to get to the hospital to see my mom.

Aiden took the bag from me when we got to the hospital and went in search of my parents.

I was relieved to see my mom awake and sitting up the hospital bed as we entered the room.

"Mom," I said rushing over to her it hug her as tight as I could.

Just being back in the hospital where Lacey and been was enough to bring back all that stress on whether she would make it through or not.

I knew my mother was going to be okay but it had definitely scared me. Scared me in a way I couldn't explain.

"I'm fine Princess," she whispered emotionally.

"What happened?" I asked when I pulled away slightly to take on the paleness of her features.

"You're mom had low blood sugar and fainted." He gave my mom a disapproving look. "She needs to make sure she eats more regularly."

"Mom," I said, feeling a lecture coming on.

"You brought a friend," my mother, diverting the attention away from her.

"Aiden," I introduced to my parents.

He stood into the doorway.

"Come in ," my father said, shaking his hand before taking the duffel bag Aiden offered him.

"It's nice to meet you Aiden," my mother said.

I could already see the intrigue in my mother's eyes but I didn't even know what was going on between us. He had been avoiding me for the last week before showing up on my doorstep. I had no idea why he had come to visit me.

"Nice to meet you too," he said. "I'll wait outside for you."

He left and I turned to face my parents' curious gazes.

"He seems nice," my mother spoke first.

"He is a boy. They are hard work."

"Hey," my father said, taking offence.

"You're the only exception," I said hugging him.

I waited until visiting hours were nearly over before I left parents in search of Aiden. It was the fear of why he had come over to my house they kept me from going to find him earlier. He was sitting in the waiting room and when he spotted him he rose to his feet.

"How's your mom doing?" he asked

"She'll be okay. They are only keeping her over night as a precaution."

I shifted from one foot to the other. "Why did you come over to my house?"

Whether I wanted to hear his answer or not, I needed it.