Chapter 10: Pink (#FEC5E5)

Start from the beginning

"Is this the secret to why Lola's bread is so addictive?" Tricia watched as Jayden kneaded the dough with a perfect mix of force and tenderness. Tricia was supposed to be watching the dough but she found her eyes drifting up and lingering on Jayden's arms. His muscular arms clad in a tight short sleeve shirt was definitely not distracting. 

"If you try hard enough, you'll notice that Lola's bread tastes way better than mine. I think there's something in Lola's hands and apparently I didn't inherit it..." Jayden chuckled. 

"Oh, no wonder my pandesal and spanish bread taste different sometimes..." Tricia nodded slowly.

"Wait, do they actually taste that different? Does it taste bad?" Jayden got flustered. 

"I'm just joking. Lola's a master but you're just as skilled." Tricia assured Jayden. 

"Thank God...the last thing I want is to ruin Lola's reputation." Jayden heaved a sigh of relief.

"If Lola trusted you to take charge of the kitchen when she isn't here, it means she trusts you 100%. You're the last person I know that would do a slipshod work." Tricia gave Jayden a thumbs up. 

"Has anyone told you that you'd make a really good therapist?" Jayden smiled. 

"Hmm, not really...but psychology classes were one of my favourite electives." Tricia shrugged. 

"I bet you excelled in them." Jayden raised an eyebrow. 

"I passed." Tricia laughed as she pushed her glasses up. 

"You've got flour on your face..." Jayden pointed out. 

"Here?" Tricia rubbed her cheek, not realising her hands were coated with flour. 

"No...there..." Jayden couldn't help but giggle at Tricia, who now looked like a child playing with flour.

"Here?" Tricia asked. 

"Wait, don't use your hands..." Jayden held Tricia's flour-coated hands and grabbed a towel hanging around his waist instead. 

"Okay... Tricia muttered as Jayden gently cleaned the flour off Tricia's cheeks and nose. The lack of personal space was breath stopping. 

"There, all clean." Jayden smiled as he leaned back to check if all the flour was gone. 

"Thanks..." Tricia let out a breath she didn't even know she was holding in. 

"We have an hour while the bread rises, do you wanna go grab something to drink in the market while waiting?" Jayden covered the mixture with a cloth. 

"You do have instant coffee?" Tricia had a cheeky smile on her. 

"Uh huh..." Jayden was confused. 

"Great, let's just sit and talk while we wait." Tricia grinned. 

~

Ding! The oven went off and the smell of freshly baked bread wafted through the small shop. 

"It's ready!" Tricia hopped up from her seat and ran to the kitchen, Jayden trailing behind. 

"Careful...the oven handle may be hot..." Jayden warned. 

"Ahhh..." Tricia retracted her hand as she touched the handle of the oven. 

"Did you burn yourself?" Jayden hurried to Tricia's side. 

"I don't think so...It was just a little hot to the touch. I'll just cool it down with cold water." Tricia looked at her fingers. 

"Come..." Jayden held Tricia's non-injured wrist and led her to the sink.