015. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐭𝐲𝐱

Start from the beginning

"Then don't fall asleep." Ellie remarked, "I was quiet, I checked my six, I looked for tracks, I found the high ground, and I kept watch. Like you taught us to. What can I say, man? I'm a natural." Joel scoffed, taking the large shotgun from her hands. "Wake me up next time."

"Yes, sir."

As inviting as the cave was, the trio weren't able to stick around any longer, and instead carried on their journey through Wyoming.

Once again, snowfall adorned the trees, bridges, and lakes, highlighting them in a pale glow. The air remained cold and bitter, like it had been the previous few weeks.

The world fell still as two teenage girls, a man, and a dog walked along the oddly-shaped bridge. It was adorned with frost, and as Lizzie let her hand touch over the steel metal, she could feel the cold invade the cotton of her gloves.

It hadn't taken very long to cross the bridge, the unsettling environment caused them to pick up their speed as they traveled.

After they had crossed over the desolate bridge, Joel lead them through the snow-filled district. Occasionally, one of them would start a conversation over something meaningless, but for most of the journey, they trekked on to the sound of their own breathing.

As they walked over a plane of snow, Lizzie turned at the sound of unsuccessful whistling. She raised an eyebrow as she watched Ellie attempt to create a sweet whistle, only for it to come out poorly.

"What are you doing, ponytail?" She watched as Ellie turned to her, rolling her eyes and making a 'duh' sound. "I'm learning how to whistle."

Joel turned from his place in front of them, "you don't know how to whistle?"

"Does it sound like I know how to whistle?"

Lizzie smiled lightly. "I can whistle." She remarked, a smug glint in her eyes as Ellie narrowed her eyes at her. "No you cant."

"Yes, I can." Lizzie persisted, demonstrating by whistling the tune of an old song Marlene used to whistle to.

Ellie rolled her, scoffing lightly. "Seriously, though, how the fսck do you do that?"

Lizzie grinned, shrugging her shoulders as she walked. "Just that talented."

"Whatever." Ellie dismissed, turning to look at Joel who walked in front of her. "You should teach us how to hunt."

"Huh."

Lizzie turned to the two, nodding her head lightly. "I reckon I'd be good at hunting, you know." She turned to Ellie with a small smirk, "I'd get you all the rabbits in the world." She referenced the previous day's conversation.

Ellie looked down for a moment, her cheeks slightly rosy, though she hoped the blonde would assume it to be just the winter air. If she noticed, Lizzie didn't say.

Joel huffed loudly. "Well, you'd be able to handle the shootin', that's for sure. Not so sure about the dressin'." The man finished. He breathed heavily as his boots collided against the hardened frost that adorned the once grassy floor.

Ellie's eye brows creased, walking forward so she was beside the blonde girl. "What the fuck's the dressing?"

"The part where you take the guts out."

Lizzie winced loudly, turning to Ellie and nudging her shoulder. "Oh, don't think that's for me. You should do that though, El. You'd be a natural." She suggested, a teasing look washing over her face.