Chapter 8; Changing Tides

The ginger guided me up a set of stairs off the side of the bank, and the atmosphere shifted from the warm, welcoming air, to a colder more ominous feeling. The air felt still, almost choking me. Perhaps it was my nerves, or maybe my mind was exhausted from all the memories that flooded in... but something felt off. However, that wasn't deterring my mind, the anger was stronger. I was stronger than whatever they threw at me, I knew that. "Right through here, Miss." The ginger pushes a large, meticulously crafted door open.

The room was an oversized office; however, a small layer of dust sat on the shelves and desk, making it obvious how often this room is truly used. "Sorry for the mess, please have a seat." The ginger sat on the desk, legs crossed. "So, you've come to seek help from the Doctor after all. You do understand that you'll have to leave Liyue and join us north to Snezhnaya."
"Yes, I understand that," I confirm, sitting down in a plush chair.
"Great! Then how about we set up a room here in the bank? Can't have a patient getting unwanted attention." He smiles wide, jumping off the desk and bending down in front of my face. "I'll let The Doctor know you're ready for transport." And with that he leaves, leaving me alone in the haunting office space.

...Xiao's POV...

When Zhongli returned for a moment (Y/N) had started to shift around showing signs of regaining consciousness. Opening the door to my room, I am met with familiar (E/C) orbs; however, a sense of betrayal filled them. Before, neither I nor Morax could speak she was gone. Only black whips from her Adepus power. My body and mind froze, I didn't know what caused such a look to fill her eyes but it didn't sit right with me. Turning to Morax, his eyes seemed to hold pity and... regret? What did he regret?
"She's figured it out." His voice was low, clearly trying to clear the air.
"What do you--"
"She knows of her past. At least enough to put the pieces together." He sighs deeply and sits down in a chair that normally sat under the small desk in the room.
"You mean she knows who I am? She knows who she really is?" I didn't know how to feel, I wanted to be happy and to talk to her like before all of this but... that look made me hesitate. She felt betrayed... and if I remember correctly she doesn't forgive easily.

...Zhongli's POV...
...Past...

A child lay in a field, bloody and bruised. Her skin was wrapped in tight bandages, and a small amount of mist surrounds her thin frame. It seemed as if she was dumbed, left to die and rot. Kneeling down, I examine her closer. She seemed to be extremely malnourished and dehydrated, for some time I'd imagine. Her (H/C) hair was knotted and long, reaching to about her mid-thigh. She wore rags that looked like an adult shirt, blood riddled the thing, along with grim and dirt. Some rude stitches keep the clothes from falling apart. Gently, I place a hand on her head, being careful of any injuries.

Once my hand touched her, her eyes snap open and she jumps back, swaying slightly. Her body was weak but her spirit was not. Her legs shook, trying their best to remain standing. "Easy, child, how are you feeling?" I ask, not moving a muscle to avoid scarring her.
"W-who are... you?" Her voice was weak, breaking from the probable scratchiness.
"I am just someone wanting to help. What happened young one?" My voice was gentle, making sure not to spook her.
"My friends are d-dead, the enemy killed them. We were attacked, I tried to stop them but there were too many of them." Tears brimmed her eyes, she fought back the pain she clearly felt.
"What enemies?" That chosen word intrigued me, what did a child that looked no older than 6 to 7 years old know about battle?
"The people that owed my Master money, they didn't want to pay anymore..." Her small hands grab at the bottom of the shirt pulling at it.
This news angered me some, and the chosen words disturbed me. I knew a few faulty loan organizations were starting to pop up but I was unaware of the use of children. "How old are you?"
"I'm 12, my name is Skadi now, he didn't like my name."