Hanging Out

A/N: I know I've used this excuse like thirty times now, but I was really sick again and my school almost burned down the other day so I've been pretty busy hshdhdhd 😭 I've had every sickness under the sun in the past month 💀

A/N #2: I wrote the first author's note like a month ago and never finished writing, but guess what! I'm sick again. I have the worst immune system smh. Anyways, hopefully I post this today 💀

          We make our way down the sidewalk until we make it to the local DQ, where I open the door for Johnny like the refined gentleman I am. I follow after him as he enters and stand next to him as he decides what he wants. "Are you sure yer willing to pay for this, (Y/N)?" I put a hand on his shoulder. "Yes, and I ain't gonna back down." I smile at him.

          I follow in behind him after he enters and wait for him to decide what he wanted. We decided to both get (favorite flavor) milkshakes. When the order is ready, we grab 'em to go and head out to the lot.

          The whole way there, we banter back and forth. When we arrive, we hop up on a closed dumpster and start drinking our shakes. I look over at Johnny, and he has a small smile on his face. "It's real nice to get to hang out with you, man," he says. Laughing,  and push him playfully. "We've gotten to hang out a lot, Johnnycake!" He looks down, sporting a toothy grin. "Yeah, but usually Pony or Dally is with us when we hang out." I mouth 'oh' and then snicker. "So you meant 'its real nice to hang out with you as just the two of us'."

          Johnny nervously takes a long sip of his shake. With that, he finishes all that he can with his straw, so he takes off the lid and drinks the rest of it like it's a cup of coca-cola. When it's gone, he tosses the cup aside. He doesn't notice, but got some of the icy drink on his face in this midst of his haste. I chuckle and use my thumb to wipe it off. Johnny's eyes widen, then he looks away quickly. "No need to be shy, Cicada. We're best friends, remember? No good friend would let his buddy walk around with milkshake on his face." Johnny laughs lowly. "Yeah.... best friends."

          All of a sudden, we see Pony burst out of his house from across the lot and come sprinting towards us. I keep forgetting that that scrawny kid is the best track runner on his team. Eventually, he reaches us, and when he does he breathlessly says, "Y'all ready to head over to meet Dallas?" I looked at the sun and realized that it had moved significantly from it's position the last time I checked it. Johnny smiles and hops off of the dumpster, and I follow suit.

         Dallas was leaning on a lightpost and the three of us each greeted him. "What do you wanna do?" Ponyboy asks, realizing that the drive in isn't exactly open yet. Dallas takes a drag on his cigarette. "Nothin' legal, man, let's get outta here." I chuckle, considering how just earlier Dallas told Pony that he shouldn't worry because "he wasn't looking for trouble, just wanted to catch a movie". The four of us start walking off down the sidewalk, and the boys ogle some broad as she passes us. My face heats a little as I notice Johnny staring too. But whatever, you know boys and their obsession with ladies.

          The boys go through town causing trouble. Stealing cigarettes from diners and blowing straws at the waitresses, and scaring the piss out of some little kids. A normal friday for them, really. Then, we break into the drive in. It's not like we didn't have the dough to get it, I offered to pay, but Dallas, Pony, and Johnny enjoy the adrenaline rush of sneaking in. I guess I do too. Who knew that crawlin' through a hole in a back fence could be so exhilarating?

          There weren't many other people in the seats section of the drive in. Just two socy girls up front. Of course, Dallas made us sit behind them so he could harass the redhead. I thought he was the type to go for blondes, but I guess not. I sat next to Johnny, who sat next to Ponyboy. Johnny and I started a conversation on our own to block out the rather uncomfortable one that  Dallas and the redhead were having. "Yeah, that James Dean movie played the other day," Johnny said quietly. He doesn't like talking in places where there's other people. "Which one?" I ask, "Rebel Without a Cause?" Johnny nods. "It was real good. I liked it pretty-" we were cut off by the sound of yelling.

          Johnny turns his head to see that Dallas was getting way to close to that girl, Cherry I think her name was. I look over in concern. I guess Johnny was concerned too, because Johnny stood up and told Dallas to step off. Politely, of course. Dallas was still his hero. "Ey, what'd you say to me?" Dallas fumed. "What'd you say, you little shit!?" Johnny flinched a bit, but kept his ground. "C'mon, man," he pleaded. Dallas aggressively wiped his face, which I had to stifle a laugh at, and stomped off like an angry toddler. Johnny sat back down and sighed. I pat him on the shoulder. "You did a good thing, man. The right thing." He looks over at me and smiles a little.

"Thanks, (Y/N)."