Greasy Grub Diner

Beep!
Beep!
Bee-

         I slam my hand down on the annoying alarm clock blaring beside me and groan. I had a great time yesterday, but everything comes to an end eventually. Now I had to get my tired ass up and get to work. I worked at a little diner up by the DX, where Soda and Steve work. That's another reason why I usually shop there; it's on the way home. The diner's called The Greasy Grub, which sounds more like a trashy fast-food restaurant, but it's actually pretty nice for a greaser joint.

          I put on my work clothes ( a black button up shirt, black dress pants, and a red apron) and begin my walk to work. I actually was early enough to catch Sodapop and Steve walking to their workplace. "Hey, Sodapop, Steve!" I call out while running towards them. They look back at me and smile. "Hey, (Y/n)!" Soda says. Steve says, "You feelin' okay after the crash last night?" He still has the same excited smile he had last night when we were flying through the city in that tuff mustang. I nod. "Yeah, that was real fun!" Soda looks confused, so Steve tells him all about it.

         "Oh, so that's why Johnny was so hyped up last night!" He exclaimed. I tilt my head in confusion. I figured Johnny went back to the lot after we left the crash site. "Yeah, he came by and was talkin' to Pony practically all night about it! That must've been what he was gushing about!" The image of Johnny with his eyes lit up and talking softly, but passionately about his night came to mind. I find myself wanting to spend more time with him, and talk to me the way I envision him talking to Pony. But that's silly.

          We finally get to the DX and the two guys next to me split after waving goodbye. I put my hands in my pockets and walk the rest of the way to the Greasy Grub. I walk in and clock in. I wait tables and work the register. That's my job. My tedious job. Even though it's typically a greaser restaurant, more and more socs have been showing up lately. Most of them treat me like second class and are honestly assholes. They're lucky I don't spit in their god damn food.

           The day goes on like normal, talking to the regulars all friendly, and glaring at the people who yell at me for literally holding their cup the wrong way. Well, it goes normal until I see some familiar faces walk through the door. "Ey, can I get waited on here or what!?" Dallas Winston yells. He's got Johnny and Pony on each side of 'im. I walk up to them and tell them to follow me. "Hey, peep the smokin' waiter we got," Dally jokes, looking at Johnny and pointing his thumb at me. The two younger boys laugh, and Johnny tints a light shade of pink. "You're a real riot, Dal," Johnny says. I chuckle. "I thought you were supposed to be scary, Winston. Didn't know you were a comedian."

          Dallas rolls his eyes. "Real funny. Anyways, uh, we stopped by the DX and Soda told us you was working today. Johnny suggested we stop by and pay you a visit." I him in response. "Well here's yer table boys. Best seat in the house," I say, placing menus on the huge corner booth. "Hey!" I hear from behind me. I turn and see one of the socs that have been treating me like absolute shit since they came in. "If that's the best table, we should have it, not those pieces of greaser trash!" I roll my eyes. "You've got yer table and all of yer food's already on it. I cannot transfer you tables. Sorry, sir." I say as politely as I can. I'm not losing my job over a salty soc. The bastard starts cursing me out and I just ignore him while I try to get down the boys' orders.

         I thought if anyone was gonna blow up at 'em, it'd be Dallas, but to my shock, Johnny got up and started to walk over. I put my hand on his shoulder. "It's fine, Cicada. They ain't gonna stop, they're entitled." He looked at me and softened his gaze, before it hardened again and he approached the soc's table. I couldn't hear what he was saying, because even though he looked pissed off, his voice was still soft. He came back and the socs kept to themselves and dropped the whole conversation. Johnny looked pleased with himself.

          Dallas also had a proud grin on his face. "Look at Johnnycake! Finally grew some balls, eh?" Dallas pulled Johnny into the booth and put his arm around Johnny and the boy was all smiles. "I'm so proud of you, Johnny!" Dallas exclaimed. Ponyboy also praised the boy. I smiled. "Thanks, Cicada. Anyways, I better go give yer order to the cooks. I'll be back soon, boys~" I said in a jokingly flirty tone. Little did I know, I made poor Johnny's face tint a bright shade of red.