Joyride

TW: SMOKING, CAR CRASH

"EY! SCRAM!"

         All of a sudden a voice booms across the street, aimed at the socs.  They do exactly as he says and hightail it outta here. I'm grateful that I don't have to fight again, but for some reason, Pony goes pale. We turn and see a large guy with a good build. He angrily walks over to us. When he finally gets over here, Ponyboy winces. "And whaddayou think yer doing out here, walking alone, at night!?" Pony glances away. "I... didn't think there'd be trouble..." The big guy scoffs. "Don't you ever use your head, Ponyboy!?" Johnny seems hung on this guy's every word, but I'd still like to know who he is. He seems to know them.

        "Yer lucky you had Johnny and this kid followin' you, or you'd have been slices on the pavement by now. Of course, when I saw you I started following too." Pony continues avoiding the boy's eyes. "Sorry, Darry." I connect the pieces mentally. This is the infamous older brother I've been hearing about all evening! The big guy, who I found out is Pony's oldest brother Darry, rubs his temples in frustration. "Let's get you home, kiddo. But before I leave, who's yer new friend?" Pony looks back at me and replies, "Oh, that's (Y/N)." I do a small wave, then curse myself for it. I can't even see myself, but I knew it didn't look tuff. "Yeah," Johnny chimed, "he helped us with the brawl earlier. He took out four socs!"

         Darry studied my face for a minute. "What grades you make in school, boy?" I hesitate a moment, trying to picture my most recent grade card. "Mostly A's and B's, the occasional C. Except for mathematics. I have a D in mathematics." Darry nods. "Did you tell this idiot," he pauses to motion at Pony, "that he shoulda not gone out alone?" "Well...yeah, but he insisted on goin' alone so me and Johnny trailed after 'im. I wouldn't have let him get hurt, sir." Darry says nothing for a moment. "You got a good head on yer shoulders, kid. Your welcome at our house at any time. Maybe Pony could help ya in Maths, he's good at that." I nod. "And one more thing," he begins again, "drop the sir. In the gang, we're a family, not a corporate. Got it?" I smile. "Got it."

          "Now," Darry turns back around and grabs Pony by the arm, "let's get you home, kid brother." I chuckle. "Are they always like that?" I ask Johnny.  "Yeah," he replies, "Pony insists that Darry hates 'im, but I know what hate looks like. That boy has nothing but love for 'is brother." Johnny then exhales, runs a hand through his dark hair, then walks on past me. "Where ya goin', Cicada?" He turns his head back to me. "To the lot where the gang and I hang out. You can...come with...if you want?" It came out more like a question than an offer, but I accepted nonetheless. I run up beside him and start talking.

          Eventually, we make it to the lot. I sit on the cold ground, and Johnny rests on a dumpster in front of me. "Hey Johnny, got a smoke?" I question. He nods and tosses me a cigarette, after getting his own out of the pack. He lights his, then passes the lighter to me. He then smiles. "Wanna see something cool?" I take my cigarette out of my mouth for a moment to reply, "sure!" He takes a drag on his cigarette, then blows a ring of smoke. I look at him shocked. "I didn't know there were tricks you could do with cigarette smoke!" Johnny nods pridefully. "Pony taught me that one." I look at him in awe as he does it again. "That's so tuff, Cicada!" He looks away bashfully. We both just sit there smoking for a moment in comfortable silence. Then, all of a sudden a blue mustang pulls up beside us.

          Johnny pales and I rest my hand on my back pocket, ready to grab my blade. Then, the window rolls down. "Get over here, ya greasers!" Two-Bit suddenly reveals himself as the driver. "Me and Steve carjacked some socs, and now we're goin' on a joyride!" Steve pokes his head out from the passenger seat, giving two thumbs up and smiling. Johnny and I smile widely and scramble over to the car. We open the back doors and climb in, me on the right and Johnny on the left behind Two-Bit. Johnny was looking around in admiration. "Man, mustangs are even tuff on the inside," he muttered. Then, outta nowhere, Two-Bit slams on the gas.

          We roll all the windows down and all of our hair was going crazy. We kinda made a game out of Two-Bit's reckless driving. Air-time was 20 points, mailboxes were 25, every run through a red light was 5, and every time he exceeds 85 mph it's 10. We lost count of the points really quickly, if I'm being honest. Then, Two-Bit says, "Now let's wreck it." All of our eyes got wide. "B-but Two-Bit, you'll get us killed! Why would we have to wreck it!?" Johnny exclaimed worriedly. "Chill, Johnnycake. This is one of those rich-kid cars, it has working airbags!" Two-Bit's grip on the steering wheel gets tighter and his glare on the road hardened. "Now we ain't gonna give it back are we? So let's wreck it!" Two bit then stomps as hard as he can on the gas and we go careening into the side of a brick building. Surprisingly, it only left a scratch on the building. And Two-Bit was right, the airbags did cushion us during the crash. It was safe to say that the car was totaled though...