The question is, why is she allowing this so easily? Does she not suspect me?

     I eye Gentry cautiously through half lidded eyes, and I see an ulterior motive in her serene expression.

      She tucks my hair behind my ears.

      "I'll be back later to bring you some soup." She pulls the blankets hire, tucking them beneath my chin like I'm a wee little child in need of a bedtime story to lull me into a deep slumber.

     Gentry even pinches my cheeks. It's mortifying.

     She gets up to leave, clambering with the curtains to pull them shut once more. When she reaches the door she moves to leave, and my legs are already itching to move and get out of this warm bed and into the cold basement chambers where my lovely vampire man awaits.

     But, just when she's about to disappear, Gentry carefully takes two steps backwards into my room.

     "Whatever you are actually up to, just promise me that you will not go near your father today." She says breezily, and my mouth falls open.

     My maid scoffs, shaking her head.

     "Did you really think I believed you, lass? You aren't exactly a grand actress. Your performance could use some work."

     My mouth clacks shut, and I'm trying to think of a response when she continues to talk at me.

     "Lucky for you, your father wanted to talk marriage with you today, and I was dreading the discussion. I'll tell him you're too sick. You better not leave this room, Ailsa." She thinks for a moment, as if she realizes it's an impossible thing to ask.

     "If you do... well, just don't get caught."

      I contemplate what I should say, pressing my lips together. I settle for a short nod.

      Gentry sighs, a small smile playing at her lips as she turns away from me.

      "If your sneaking is half as bad as your acting, you're going to get in a lot of trouble."

      She leaves before I have the chance to tell her that I'm very practiced at sneaking, but maybe it's for the best that she doesn't know that.

      Traveling down to the dungeons without being seen is a lot more difficult in the light of day.

     The castle is bustling in the wee hours of the mornings, and today is no different, at least it's not different on that account.

      At least some things are the same, it's a small comfort.

      I cower behind a corner as a group of children run past, screeching as their mother attempts to catch up. I press a hand to my chest as the pressure increases. It feels as if I'm dying.

     Luckily for me, the woman is too dristacted to turn and spot me as I fling myself down the corridor. I try to slow my pace, aware of the flame I hold under my clothes.

      A dark hood covers my head, but it's not pulled up all the way. I still need my hearing. I can't risk being detected.

      This is the singularly most risky thing I have done for Fraser.

     I scold myself even as I pull my spare key from my cloak pocket, jostling it inside the door as quickly as I can without dropping it. I don't even know for certain that anything is wrong with the man in the first place. Or, vampire. Creature?

     I don't know for certain if he's in danger.

     Either way, I'm here, and it's too late to turn back now.