nights with him

Excitedly sitting on the edge of your bed was your boyfriend Matt. Every night he watched you prepare yourself for bed with your night time regime. Skincare, candles, and meditation, every night: you never skipped it. He would playfully mess with you saying how excessive it seemed, but secretly, he was very intrigued by the beauty of it all. He wanted to join in with you, he just didn't know how to ask. He came to the conclusion of waiting until you wondrously asked him if he'd like to try it out. And that night, you asked and he was over the moon.
     You laid out all the products on your vanity,  looked back at Matt and smiled. "What?"He looked around trying to see what was amusing you. The boy had fingers in his lap, fidgeting, trying to contain his excitement. "Curiosity looks cute on you" you said as he rose from the bed.
  He swiftly wrapped his hands around your waist behind you and hid his face in the crook of your neck. His warm skin on your neck made you shiver. Matt smirked at your reaction and you friskily rolled your eyes at him. He placed small, soft kisses along the back of your shoulder and neck. You turned around so that you were facing him, and that he had you pinned to your vanity. "Let's get started on the masks, shall we?" You said breathlessly. "We shall" he said with a smirk.
You grabbed him a hair band, threw it over his head and pushed his hair out of his face. You admired his features that were masked by his hair. His strong jaw, vibrant lips, and his soft skin. You ripped the mask out of the bag and unfolded it. "It might be kinda cold" you warned.   You unfolded the mask and lightly placed it on his face. You laughed at how unfamiliar this all was to Matt, who wasn't sure what to do with his face. "What's funny?" "You don't know what to do with yourself!" "Just finish putting it on!" He said squinting his eyes.
      You smoothed the mask on his pale skin, watching him slowly drift into a state of serenity. You melted as you watched him settle down, you both have had a rough week. You set a timer for 10 minutes, and in the meantime you lit your favorite candles, squealing at the sight of your room. You loved the way candles softened up any area, never failing to make everyone in the presence of it in awe. Matt had the same effect on you, his delicate and soft aura always pulling you in.
   Matt laughed at how happy you were. He loved how the littlest things excited you. You pulled out a few other candles, asking him for his opinion on which did he like the most. You babbled on and on about the benefits each one had and which was your favorite. Matt wholesomely smiled at you, knowing your candle obsession and what it meant to you.
   The timer went off and you peeled your masks off, sighing at the feeling of relief. This was usually the time when you would meditate. "So how do you actually um...meditate?" He giggled in embarrassment and you reassured him that it was okay and you would explain. "Just close your eyes and focus on breathing. See where your mind takes you and what it thinks of, that's what you could focus on." "My mind would just take me to you" he cheesily said. You laughed at how corny his statement was. But nonetheless, butterflies swarmed your stomach.
    You guys were two minutes in, but you couldn't handle the silence. You combusted into a fit of laughter. You looked over at Matt who seemed like he got the hang of it and was finally catching a thought. "I'm sorry—I just couldn't it was so quiet!" "I knew one of us would ruin it" "I said I'm sorry" you told him, still giggling. He was quiet for a second and started to laugh too. You fell into his lap, feeling him chuckle under you. You wrapped your hands around his waist and gave in. You listened to the sound of his heartbeat, steady and slow. You watched your hand resting on his chest rise and fall with every breath he took. There was no need to meditate when you were with him because he always left you feeling so centered. Both of you embracing each other and accepting the comfortable silence.
"Can we do this every night?" Matt said in a muffled giggle, trying to hide his embarrassment. "I would love to." It was dark but Matt heard you smile, which made him smile. "I love you" he said as he tightened his grip on you waist. You felt your knees go out, and you sunk your face into the crook of his neck. "I love you too."

a/n:
hii, I was thinking about making a part two (morning ver.), lmk if you guys would like to read that! Thank you guys so much for all the views, im so grateful for every single one of you. I can't believe people are reading my little writes, my own personal thoughts and feelings. I love you guys so much, words can't and won't do my feelings justice. As always, feedback is encouraged!!
(also, I too, have a crippling candle addiction 🗿)
- nana <3