Chapter 1: Im going full kook

I was sat outside of John Bs house in the hammock that hung from one tree to another. The ash and charred wood was still left on the property. Since John B had given a very small portion of the gold money to the town they decided they would use it to help John B rebuild a house on the land. They had only made enough progress for a porch and a skeleton of a smaller house. John B had mentioned that he was going to find a new house in the future but he wanted to keep his dads property decent. JJ was probably going to end up living in the house since he doesn't have anywhere else.

The sound of birds swirled through the summer breeze. Sarah was with John B in the front of the skeleton house. I couldn't hear what they were saying but it was probably something about spending the gold. I truly still can't believe we found the gold. All the work and almost death payed off on the end.

The hum of a JJ's bike came from the front of the house. I shot up in my hammock and searched for him. Ever since we kissed in camp kitty hawk we haven't had anytime to talk or even hang out really. We've all been so busy recently. JJ parked his bike and strolled up to John B who got up from the house steps. I watched as John B and JJ dapped each other up waiting for him to look past him to see me, but it wasn't him who noticed I was staring. Sarah turned to see me watching and smiled. She walked up the steps and carefully walked across the planks of wood laid out. She jumped off the planks onto the ground and made her way to me.

"Hey Kie! What are you doing all alone over here? I thought Pope was with you?" She threw herself onto the hammock with me. She pulled her legs over the hammock edge and sat facing me.

"Oh he was here but he left with Cleo. I don't know where they went but they took the boat." I looked out to the dock where the boat was still not returned. Sarah frowned and looked past the dock to the marsh.

"Don't tell me I'm the only one but has anything been like... off about Pope and Cleo recently? I feel like they always disappear off together." She said turned back to me. As I no think about it I always see them leaving together. I mean they always were together more because they live together but it just seems like they leave together more often.

"Probably nothing. Popes dad is always on his ass so it's probably something like that." I shrugged off the thought and glanced over at JJ and John B who were still in the front of the house. I couldn't pull my gaze from JJ. How could he stand there and act like everything is perfectly fine when we haven't said anything about what happened. I get him to talk to me once but now we need to talk again and who knows what it is going to take to get him to speak.

"Who you looking at?" Sarah moved close to me and put her face next to mine to see what I was looking at. A smirk grew on her face and she laughed. "You're staring at JJ. Ya know ever since pouglandia you two have been so clingy. JJ was so set on getting you from Kitty Hawk too."

I pulled my gaze away from JJ and tried to hide my smile. I put on a semi normal face and held a blank stare to Sarah. "Nothing. We're just friends just like everyone else." Shit. I knew Sarah wasn't going to buy anything I was saying but, I didn't want to tell her anything in case JJ didn't want to tell anyone about it but how can he just sit there and not think or tell anyone about what happened. I feel like a bong that'll explode whenever anyone brings up his name.

"Liar. Pope told me about what happened on the boat. He said you two were like... 2 centimeters away from each others faces. So don't say he's just your friend because friends don't try to kiss each other." She playfully grabbed my arm and started shaking it in excitement. I don't know why she cared so much and why she was so excited about this either. I feel like I should be the one with her reaction.

"Fine." I finally gained the courage to look at her in her eyes. "Me and JJ kissed at Kitty Hawk.. but we really haven't really talked about it since." A huge smile grew on Sarah's face and she practically jumped on top of me making me almost fall off the hammock.