Chapter 48 - Memories

Start from the beginning

He could understand perfectly why Ian didn't want to introduce himself and was relying on other to do it for him.

Luckily Sophie seemed to pick up on his intrigue as she introduced all of the Deprived to one another. Lastly she pointed to the young man eating savory pastries with a gentle smile.

"And then we have Ian. At least, that's what we call him, as he seems to not remember his original name anymore."

Jesse blinked, glancing at Ian as the young deprived rubbed over his wrist, catching Jesse's attention. Just underneath the sleeve of his shirt was a barely visible scar, hiding from view.

A brand... They branded him with a number?

Jesse felt his stomach twist nauseatingly, tearing his gaze away before it was noticed. He knew the Improba that captured them were sick, but to think some Improba would brand them like they would livestock?

How degrading and dehumanizing...

Then again, none of the Deprived had been treated humanely. All of them had been treated as if they were objects with nobody caring for their feelings.

To be treated with gentle kindness was rather jarring. Even if they had been treated with kindness and love in their past, their memories had been overwritten by everything that happened during their capture.

It was illogical yet their brains seemed to latch onto their suffering more than on the memories of their past.

Jesse had read enough books to know that was exactly what the Improba wanted. For the Deprived to fall into their suffering with no way out, their hopelessness only improving their flavor.

A shiver darted over Jesse's spine, a cold chill that made him tug his warm hoodie closer around him. His stomach suddenly protested against the delicious morsels of food it was provided and for a terrifying moment, Jesse feared he'd have a panic attack right then and there.

Yet when he looked up and locked eyes with Ian, there was a sudden calmness that flooded his being. A soft smile showing compassion and shyness before Ian looked back down to his treat.

Jesse smiled back, understanding that the Deprived had most likely used his powers to soothe Jesse's anxiety. Yet how did Ian know that Jesse needed help?

As Sophie left the table to get more baked goods, several of the Deprived quietly whispered their gratitude and left. As the front door closed behind them, only Jesse, Ian and Tristan were left behind.

A savory pastry was placed in front of Jesse, making the pixie blink before looking up at Ian. The other Deprived offered a weak smile before sighing.

"I knew because I'm a Satori." Ian murmured, plucking pieces off his own pastry before eating them. Jesse felt his stomach jolt, a hint of unease flittering through his system before he could manage to subdue it.

Satori, shapeshifters with mindreading capabilities. Able to read any mind to the point that they could say a person's thoughts faster than the person themselves.

How did-

"The Improba get me?" Ian's lips tightened, fingers ripping apart the pastry with more force than necessary. "My parents-" he spat out the word with such venomous disgust that Jesse pushed back against his seat.

"Sold me to the Improba. Knowing what they were going to do to me, knowing what those sick, twisted bastards would..." He sighed, eating the crumbled remains of his pastry before wiping his hands clean.

Jesse's eyes widened in shock and even Tristan stopped chewing to stare at Ian. How could someone's parents sell their own child to those monsters?

Especially when they fully knew what would happen to their child.