Chapter 1 | An Unexpected Turn of Events

━━━━━━༺༻ ━━━━━━
Chapter 1:
━━━━━━༺༻ ━━━━━━

3rd Person's POV

"Set your heart ablaze..."

"Rengoku-san...!!"

Auburn locks tangled around the boy's face as he jolted awake, sweat trickling down his brow as he rose from the bed.

Gripping the blanket tightly, a wave of melancholy washed over him before he swung his legs off the bed and pushed the window open. A gentle breeze wafted in as Tanjiro momentarily shut his eyes, then reopened them to gaze up at the sky.

It had been two months since the passing of the Flame Hashira, Rengoku Kyojuro, one of the most esteemed members of the Demon Slayer Corps. Many still struggled to come to terms with his sudden demise, burdened by regrets of not aiding him in his final battle.

Tanjiro, Zenitsu, and Inosuke had all recovered, thanks to the diligent care they received at the Butterfly Estate from individuals like Kocho Shinobu and the other attendants.

Following their ordeal alongside the Flame Hashira, the trio intensified their training tenfold, determined to strengthen themselves and avoid becoming liabilities to others.

Even when Tanjiro fell ill with fever for a week due to the rigorous regimen, he persisted in his efforts.

For the final time, Kiyo, one of the young girls at the Butterfly Estate, checked Tanjiro's temperature with a thermometer. She breathed a sigh of relief upon seeing that his fever had subsided, no longer hovering at 100.4 degrees.

"Thank goodness your fever's gone, Tanjiro-san!" Kiyo exclaimed with joy.

"I apologize for causing you concern, Kiyo-chan. And thank you for keeping this from Shinobu-san," Tanjiro replied with a smile.

"It's no trouble at all. We're here to support you in your quest to grow stronger," Kiyo assured him.

"Thank you, Kiyo-chan!"

As he stepped out of the room, he spotted Nezuko running towards him, trailed by a blond-haired boy.

"Let's play, Nezuko-chan!!"

"Hmm-hm!"

"Hey! No running in the hallway!" Aoi scolded Zenitsu sharply as she turned the corner, causing Nezuko to retreat behind Tanjiro. Zenitsu pouted while Aoi continued her reprimand.

Tanjiro offered his sister a reassuring smile as he patted her head, eliciting a pleased reaction from Nezuko.

"When's breakfast? I'm starving!" Inosuke whined from behind Aoi.

"Just be patient, it'll be ready soon," Aoi replied, turning to face him.

"Don't keep Lord Inosuke waiting!" the boar-headed boy declared, striking a flamboyant pose.

Aoi rolled her eyes at him. "You really have no patience, do you?"

━━━━━━

Halfway through their breakfast, as Tanjiro and his friends savored their meal, the tranquility shattered with the arrival of an urgent messenger, Tennouji Matsuemon, Tanjiro's faithful Kasugai Crow.

Perching itself on Tanjiro's shoulder, the crow's urgent cawing caught everyone's attention.

"Caaw! Tanjiro, Zenitsu, and Inosuke! Head northeast, beyond the town! There have been sightings of a demon in Fushō Village! Over half of their population disappeared overnight! Caw!"

The announcement hung heavy in the air, jolting the four friends from their peaceful morning routine.

""""!!???""""