Chapter 1: The Start

Ryu: OUR WHAT?!!!

After Keith's announcement, the entire class began to talk amongst each other.

Student1: Hold the hell up, magic instructor?!!

Student2: If that's the case then how the hell are there humans here?!!

Keith: I assure you, if you're here it's no mistake.

He held up a piece of paper, and after a moment, a number appeared on it. 137.

Keith: If you have more than double the mana of an average supernatural, or in other terms 10 times a normal human, then a certain number would appear for your 8th period.

Azure looked at Ryu with a smile, as the latter grabbed his paper looking at it up and down.

Student3: Are you kidding?! How the hell is Kaizen here then?!!

Student4: The only thing special about him is his smarts, there's no way he's got that much mana!

Azure: *Snicker* Shows what they know, right?

Ryu turned to Azure with a nervous smile.

Ryu: Y-Yeah, everything's not what it seems and all that. 'DAMN THIS FUCKING SCHOOL!!! HOW THE HELL DID I NOT NOTICE A SIMPLE ENCHANTMENT LIKE THAT?!!!'

Aero: 'Those two seem super friendly to each other. Does Kaito know about his strength or not?'

Keith: I'll make one thing clear. It's not impossible for humans to have absurdly high mana reserves. Supernaturals with more than double their own kinds else's mana is nowhere near as uncommon. On average, only 1 in 2000 humans would probably have double their own kind. Finding 1 with 5 times that amount is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

He picked up a stone from his desk, crushing it in his hands.

Keith: But to be frank, I don't care what race you are. Only a small handful of students can enter this place. Those without potential won't advance. Now, follow me. I'd say go single file, but we all know that's not gonna happen.

Keith walked out the door, with the students following.

Azure: Dude, what's with Mr Garner? Doesn't he seem kinda... Well normal?

Ryu: Now that you mention it, for someone so strong he does.

Azure: And that's just the thing. You wouldn't guess he's just a human after sensing him.

Ryu: 'You don't even know the half of it. That guy is barely even trying, but he's keeping a lot of his actual presence in check.'

They arrived outside, as there were multiple targets out.

Keith: For this last period, we'll be seeing just how prepared you all are for tomorrow's Magic Assessment. Consider this a mach trial. For now, you're all going to see how you do with a basic fire spell.

Ryu: 'Okay, that's great! All I have to do is just do something normal like the other students and I'm good!!'

Soon enough students stepped up, and one after the other shot fireballs at the targets in front of them. Some were singed, others had a slight dent, and few even had noticeable damage.

Keith: Kaizen, you're next.

Ryu: 'Perfect!! Now I can go before Aero and Azure!! Cover, you can stay in tact for a little longer!'

He held up his hand, seemingly concentrating, but in reality just put on a front.

Ryu: 'Okay, just hold back, and you're good.' Now, Fire.