ELEVEN: APOLOGIES.

Start from the beginning

"Billy is right, sis!" Aysa chimed in. "You know how demanding his job is. If not, I'm sure he would have been here with his queen right now," Aysa reassured.

"You guys are right," I nodded with a faint smile. I knew what Fareed's career meant to him, so I would always be here to support him.

"Good! So now, let's see what's inside this bag because I'm sure they are sweet things," Ihsan said, moving to grab the hamper basket, making us all laugh. She brought it over to the bed, and they carefully began unrolling the twist tie on the cellophane, then unwrapped the cellophane before pulling it down. The basket was filled with a variety of fruits, drinks, including champagne, and goodies consisting of different types of chocolates – my favorites like Ferrero Rocher, Toblerone, Galaxy, Kit Kat, Mars, etc. I was certain Fareed had a hand in this, only someone who knew me well would include my favorite chocolate chip cookies and soda crackers.

Days later...

*Fareed JARMA's POV*

I arrived home from the airport, parking my car close to the others in our compound. After turning off the engine, I alighted, my training bag slung over my shoulders. I remotely locked the car and tossed the keys to the chauffeur before acknowledging the greetings of my father's security men. It struck me as odd that there were unfamiliar faces in military uniforms and armor, accompanied by army vehicles, parked in our lot. Though my father had a thing for changing security personnel every few months for his safety, given his influential political status.

"Rjay!" Ameera and my cousin, Hafsa, waved at me from a distance, and I waited for them to catch up.

"What's up?" I asked, greeting them with a raised eyebrow.

"Iyee! What's with the new haircut, bro? Is it because of you know who?" Amira teased with a sly wink. "Well, I love it," she added, and before she could touch, I swatted her hand away, protecting my carefully sculpted style.

"Don't mess it up," I grumbled.

She rolled her eyes, accompanied by a playful snort. "Not Rjay feeling himself as usual, huh?" she quipped.

I ignore her, and went ahead to ask, "Is Dad in?"

"Yeah, he was asking about you this morning," Ameera confirmed. "By the way, when did you return from France? And how was it?"

"It was cool...and I returned last night but decided to spend my night at the camp because it was late. So what's with the new military men and stuff; we got visitors or what?" I asked.

"Don't ask me," Ameera shrugged, her arms crossed. "I advice you go see for yourself."

"Looser," I grumbled, wanting to leave when  Hafsa's voice halted me.

"Ya Ray, I made something special for you, and I hope you'll love it," she spoke, in an alluring voice.

I resisted the urge to groan. Don't get me wrong; I don't dislike her or anything, but her attempts to win me over because she likes me get on my nerves most of the time. She constantly tries to force her way into my heart, and I find it irritating. I mean, she's my cousin, Mami's niece, and I see her more like a sister due to her frequent stays with us. She's a year older than Ameera, and they get along well. I don't have a problem with their friendship, but I wish she would keep her distance and refrain from trying to be charming or seductive at times.

Besides, I could swear she was the happiest when she found out that Ameena and I had broken up, and she seized that opportunity to try getting closer to me, but I don't give her the time of day. She's not my type, and I don't fall for just any kind of girl. I don't think I can love any woman apart from Ameena.