[ 02 ] man, monsters & machines

entry II : " original use of chainsaw"

In 1780 two doctors
invented a cutting tool
strong enough to perform
the brutal yet more
secure surgery known as a
symphysiotomy on women.
The first chainsaw was
created to remove the pelvic
bone on women during
labor or childbirth.

almost twenty years after
the outbreak day

boston, quarantine zone
fireflies hq building

SMELL OF BURNING METAL AND LEAD wafted all over a tiny cubicle like workspace. In the middle of it, a lone woman in an all black clothing works her way into inspecting an assortment of minor weapons with visible damages on them. She had dark hair and eyes matching the shade of motor oil smudges that run up from the woman's face down to both arms. Her fingers work light and graceful on each gun, small or large, she oils up the jammed and burnt up spots before tinkering it with the proper tools needed for the first step of repair.

If the damage is too complicated to remedy in the initial attempt, she sets the firearm aside and scribbles something on the nearby yellow pad. After a few minutes doing the same routine over and over again, the dark haired woman stands up from her seat to lift a rusting power saw, clipped against a thick metal pole. The machine has been self cutting through it for a while now, and finally the metal has slid off into two. She had to try thrice before the live tool turned off properly.

The metal pieces were left in its place to cool off while the woman continued her work, this time with extra steps so she had to spend a longer time on tinkering each weapon.

As she sinks into the work, the music emitting from the worn out radio beside her sounded more lively in mood. The dark haired started to nod her head synced to the beat of Green Day's "Basket Case" and mouth off the chorus' lyrics. It was the only noise that surrounded her, a rare occurrence for the woman since she's used to constant gunfire and street fights that never seem to end when working back at her repair shop in Fifth street.

But in this building, in this room. The world is her oyster, she can do repair and welding jobs without extreme noises to distract her. It's been a long time since she's been this focused and clear of head while working.

"Hey, Wednesday Addams," a voice interrupted.

The woman didn't look up.

"Okay... Nadia," they corrected with a knock against the wooden door of the room.

This time Nadia lifted her head and acknowledged the man's presence whose name might be Eli as far as she knows. She put down the busted glock on her hands and spoke, "What?"

"Marlene's just checking on you," Eli started heading inside the room.

"I'm good." Her quick response made the man abruptly stop in his tracks. They remain halfway separated.

"Okay...," he made a small nod. "She's also asking if you can get it all done by 1pm and if you need anything else to finish quicker."

The woman blinked away a few seconds before ripping out a page from her pad paper and extending it towards. Eli reached out for the slightly crumpled sheet.

"If you have some of these... The stock I had in me is running low. I can't ran back at my shop, it's way too far without my bike."

"Alright, I'll tell her. Is there anything else?"