[ 00 ] prologue

PROLOGUE : diabolus ex machina (latin)
" the introduction of an
unexpected new event,
character, ability, or
object designed to ensure
that things suddenly
get much worse  "

"HEY, NEIGHBOR!" An older man called out to the father and daughter pair at the block next door. Joel and Sarah were quick to acknowledge the presence of their elderly neighbor, Danny Adler who's sitting by their lawn as he feeds his wheelchair-bound mother-in-law biscuits by hand. While the family's youngest, Diana, reads her grandmother a children's book in a low and monotone manner.

"Oh, hi!" Sarah waved a greeting at the family, cheerful and with a large smile. Diana clipped the book between her other hand to return a wave at her babysitter and older friend before greeting Joel as well.

"Good morning, Mr. Miller!"

"Good morning to you too, DeeDee!"

"Uh, Connie was askin' after you." Danny blurted out. "Since you haven't been over in a while. And Dee can't go to school for the next few days."

Diana could see the brief silence shared between the two upon hearing his uncle's unabashed invitation. Though they have close ties with the Millers and Sarah has been babysitting the youngest Adler since she was in diapers, it's apparent that the young girl has grown reluctant to hang around elderly people. Which Diana understands considering her uncle and aunt barely connect with her as they are more focused tending to Nana or it's difficult in general to bond with such a young kid in their old age.

Just as they thought Sarah will refuse the offer, she turns back to their neighbors with a bright smile, "Oh, I could come by after school? But, just for, like, a little bit?"

Diana's face lights up in a very childlike joy upon hearing the older girl's acceptance, at last her afternoon won't be so lonely today like how it was for the last few days.

"Oh, she'll take whatcha got! Y'all can… bake, or whatever," Danny stuttered, sharing the same relief of his niece that someone will look after the young girl. "Speakin' of...," he grabs the tray off biscuits behind them and gestures to share it to the pair. Who are now on set to leave by their truck for school.

"We got a lotta extra here. Y'all—y'all want some biscuits?"

"Gramy Connie baked them!"

"Dad, you love biscuits!" Sarah exclaimed to get the attention of her dad who's preoccupied with loading their ride. Joel's head pops up just in time to see Danny push another piece into Nana's mouth. His face subtly falls, he then says something inaudible to the rest of them.

"On what now?"

"It's, uh—you know what? We gotta run," He looked over at them, closing up the truck bed. "But Sarah'll be by later, she'll stay as long as you want! Tell ya all about Atkins!"

"Great! I'll let Connie know!"

As soon as the pair slips into their seats, the grey and silver truck pulls up from the driveway, leaving the Adlers alone with themselves once again.

"They are very annoyed by us." Diana chimed in without any subtlety. Her uncle grunted in a disapproving expression.

"No, they are not. Sarah just accepted."

"They have lives too, you know, gramps. And we keep telling them to come over at the house. Sarah can't babysit me forever."

Danny could only twist his face in confusion, not at the fact about the Millers but of his niece's blunt comment. "You talk like an old person."