Soldier Boy

Hello, hello my lovely readers! Thank you once more for being so patient with me. I have two of my toughest classes this semester, and I am both mentally and physically exhausted by the time I finished classes and homework for the day. Again, thank you for being so kind and patient with me as I work through the trial and tribulations in college.

Fun Fact: I wrote the first half of this chapter on an 8-hour flight on the way home from London! My marching band had the honor of playing in London's New Year's Day Parade, so I got to spend a week over there. It was lovely, and I can't wait to head back to the UK in June to see Scotland!

Anyway, enough about me, please enjoy, and please let me know what you think about this chapter!

Harry's POV

The Gryffindor common room was alive with chatter, and it was almost guaranteed that all of the other common rooms and the halls were in the same state. Students gathered in small groups around the room, all leaning over a newspaper. Well, not the entire newspaper exactly, just one article in particular. There was pointing, whispering, raised eyebrows, and wide eyes all over the room. No doubt everyone in the school had read or at least seen the most recent newspaper.

There had been rumors about Professor Elric and his date to the Yule Ball since Christmas Eve, but everything had come to a head when the article had been published in the Daily Prophet. And of course, it had been written by none other than Rita Skeeter, so the information was questionable. Well, it would have been if it weren't for the pictures accompanying the article.

I sighed and looked down at the paper on the table between Ron and me. We had been playing a round of chess, and I was losing miserably as always, but the article has quickly taken all of our attention. I propped my chin on my palm as I read through the short article again.

EDWARD ELRIC: FIANCE OR SOLDIER?

By: Rita Skeeter

The epic love story of the youngest professor in Hogwart's history continues at the long-awaited Yule Ball. It seems that Professor Elric's mighty fine looks and fiery personality have indeed worked in his favor as he was spotted at the Christmas Eve event with a beautiful young lady on his arm. Is this the infamous Winry he had mentioned before? I sure hope so. They do look like quite a lovely couple. But don't just take my word for it; take a peak at the pictures I was able to capture! But, this means the rumors are true, and any young ladies - or gentlemen for that matter - are out of luck when it comes to the Alchemy Professor.

What's more, it appears that the young couple is engaged! I was able to catch the special moment when Elric pulled the silver ring out of his pocket. I wasn't close enough to see what gem was on the ring (and I didn't want to interrupt such a special moment!), but I will be sure to inquire about it in the next interview with Professor Elric. And now that the couple is engaged, will Winry be staying with her fiance, or will she be traveling back to her home country? Hopefully, we will be lucky enough that she stays, and I can score an interview with the couple!

The question everyone is now asking is: will the couple last, or will someone swoop in and steal the young professor away from his sweetheart?

And to add another layer to the already enthralling story, Professor Elric appears to be a very decorated member of the military. But of which military you may ask? Certainly not that of the Ministry of Magic, Britain, or any other European country. In fact, the royal blue ensemble the young professor was sporting is unrecognizable! From my sources, none of the major militaries quite match Elric's uniform, though there are a few that are similar. So, is the professor faking the status for attention? Does he come from a secret and hidden country? And how does someone as young as he enters the military, to begin with?