Chapter 11

Chapter 11

"Stop this nonsense!"

Duskfang snarled at Hawkpaw, wings splayed wide as she backed away slowly. They're gone! I'll never see them again! Frenzied thoughts flashed through Hawkpaw's mind as she glowered up at Duskfang, eyes narrowed to slits.

Bunching her muscles in a leap, she prepared to spring at him. Suddenly, something knocked the breath out of her. Whirling around, Hawkpaw saw Smokepaw barreling into her side. She snarled and tried to retaliate.

"Hawkpaw, stop!"

Winged beasts! Hawkpaw bunched her muscles for a fresh attack. She would show these cats what happened when they attacked her family. She would claw them to shreds.

"Hawkpaw!"

Hawkpaw rounded on Smokepaw, and was about to slash at her ear. Suddenly, her growl of aggression got caught in her throat. Smokepaw was curled up in a tight ball, whimpering. As Hawkpaw examined her more closely, she realised that Smokepaw was crying.

The mad shot of adrenaline that had filled her muscles began to disparate. Hawkpaw looked around with newfound terror as she saw Duskfang watching her from narrowed eyes, chest and feathers puffed defensively.

The feathers and blood and fur all around Hawkpaw made her shiver once more, though rage didn't boil in her blood this time. The moon and stars shone down coldly, illuminating the rusty blood sprayed around the den. The frigid air retained the scent of fear, pain, and blood.

Then, Hawkpaw turned back to Smokepaw. To her surprise, the she-cat got to her paws, shuddering. She pressed herself against Hawkpaw, and embraced her. It was strange, the feeling of another cat so close to her. Hawkpaw felt initially very tense, but then Smokepaw spoke softly.

"I'm so sorry," she whispered. "I-I thought we were better than this."

Hawkpaw stared at the mess of blood around the clearing, and the drifts of blowing snow that had covered the evidence of what her family had done next. They could all be dead, for all she knew. Her throat went dry at any words she could say to Smokepaw. Eventually she sighed.

"You didn't do it, though." But someone in that clan did...

Smokepaw opened her wings, and pressed them against Hawkpaw's shoulders in an act to comfort her. Hawkpaw exhaled slowly, feeling exhaustion begin to fill all her muscles. Eventually, Smokepaw let go, and Hawkpaw turned to face Duskfang's wrath.

He opened his jaws, but no words came out. Ration came in to Hawk's head once more. He must not have known about the attack either; he had let them so close to the den without thinking.

Then, Duskfang eyed her. "I'll fly home and report this at once," he announced briskly. "Whoever did this should not go unpunished. It was clearly behind Talonstar's back." He lifted his wings into the sky. "Smokepaw," he meowed. "I trust you to get Hawkpaw home safely."

Then, he leaped in the sky, and powerful wing beats led him farther and farther away from Hawkpaw and Smokepaw. As soon as he was gone, Smokepaw sagged to the ground, eyes glittering.

Her sunrise-coloured wings dropped to her side dejectedly. She slumped down, eyeing the mess of feathers of all shapes and colours.

"I really thought us FalconClan cats were the good guys," she meowed, dragging one paw through the snow. "The rogues are the evil ones."

Have you seen I'm not evil? Hawkpaw thought indignantly. Then, guilt at nearly clawing Smokepaw set in. She had been more volatile than the cool-faced clan cats.