"I like this blue." Nico voiced out loud. "Alice, you gotta focus or the next thing you'll know is me throwing one of these buckets at you."

I blinked and realized I was leaning against a wall and Professor McAdams was gone. "I'm sorry."

He tsked.

"Where's Professor McAdams?" I asked, rubbing my eyes with the tips of my fingers.

"Left to tackle the rest of the volunteers."

"I just...haven't had decent sleep these past few nights," I told him quietly.

He glanced over his shoulder at me, still crouched low near the paint buckets, and I watched the frown slowly take over his features. "You're worrying about Brooke and that ass Soren for no reason. You talked to her father, didn't you? He told you she's fine."

I bristled a little.

Nico got up and wiped his hands on his jeans. I heard murmurs from near the stage before two of the other volunteers, a blonde-haired girl who reminded me so much of Grace, and her friend joined us.

"You guys up for some coffee?" The blonde-haired one asked, smiling at me and then at Nico. "We're all going out for some."

I needed coffee to keep my eyes open the same way I needed oxygen to breathe. But I'd already had two cups since this morning and I couldn't afford any more. The evening was nearing and I had a date. A fake date to be ready for in hours.

"I'll have one," Nico said.

I shook my head. "Sorry, I'll have to pass. Another time?"

The blonde, I learned her name was Stevie, and her friend Janet didn't seem bothered and told Nico they'll be heading out in five.

"Going to the dorms for a quick nap?" He asked me once they were gone and we both were alone in the room again.

I shook my head again. "I've got a...uh. A date."

He blinked, stopping midway from nearing the paint buckets once again, and narrowed his gaze at me. "A date."

I couldn't look at him, not in the eyes when I was lying. It wasn't really a date. It's an agreement, my mind voiced helpfully. Something I owe Ryder.

"A fake date," I added.

Nico laughed. "I swear, Alice, life's never not interesting when I'm with you."

I smiled.

"What is this? Like is this something you do a lot? Fake date? Are you into this thing?"

"Jesus, no." I shoved him. "It's just that I owe him for when he helped me back with that family dinner at my parent's. By being my fake date."

Nico's eyes widened almost comically. "So it's him then. The mystery guy. He's asking you to be his fake date for what? A family reunion?"

"Something like that."

All of a sudden, Nico was frowning now. "Be careful, all right? And if you...need an out, well, you can call me. I'll drive you back?"

I tried muffling the laugh that escaped me then, touched and heart warming, and Nico rolled his eyes before pointing his index finger at me.

"We won't make a habit of this." He warned. "But I guess it won't hurt to be your rescuer one more time."

•••••

I had a maroon dress. The only dress I currently had here with me in my dorm. One that was the only decent-looking thing amongst my other clothes, even though I'd worn it almost every time I went to a nightclub or a college party.