Chapter 5

Asim was fond of journaling and writing personal diaries. While on the bus to Islamabad, he wrote about his thoughts. Here's his point of view (POV):

15th June 2013

"Dear Diary.

Since my mother told me about the proposal, I had been very busy with either office work or helping the family with my wedding preparations. Since now, I am a married man, and right now am on the bus to Islamabad for my transfer, I have gotten some time to write...I was a little excited about my marriage, but I don't know, the first time I saw Rohma, I had a feeling that something was bothering her. I am sure it was that she was feeling awkward. She was very shy and looked confused and scared. My cousin had heard that she was a rebellious woman. But, I saw that she was so beautiful. She tried to give fake smiles although I know she looked so uncomfortable. I have this feeling that Rohma isn't happy. Maybe she's just too nervous and scared about this relationship. In fact, I am nervous too. Although I am not sure if she likes me, I don't want to hurt her. Since I came to know what my Taya (uncle) did to her wife, I am ashamed to call myself a man. I don't want to hurt any woman. No matter what, a man should always respect his wife, and be kind to her. I want to give her space. She's just fine. She seems respectful and caring but quite shy. I would definitely help her if she decides to open up to me. She should learn to have faith in Allah and in me. Why is she so hesitant to be with me? I won't kill her or something. I hope she starts talking to me soon and we can become the best couple in our family. I really don't know how I should tell her that she can trust me. Should I do something for her? But this early? No... I should wait and let her be and feel comfortable around me. I'm sure she'll be an amazing wife...hmmm well... I'm getting sleepy. It's 1:35 am right now... I'll have to get up at around 5 to reach the hotel or apartment and then the first day of a job at a new place.... oh... it will be a so tiring day... well bye... I'll write to you later."

Three hours later, the bus had arrived in Islamabad. Ali had called one of his friends to pick them up and he dropped them at some hotel. They checked in and by the time, it had already turned 5:30 am in morning. Asim texted Rohma that he had arrived in Islamabad and that he had checked in at a hotel. After praying for fajr prayers, Asim went to sleep for an hour and a half. He then woke up at 7:30 am. He got ready and after he ate breakfast at the hotel, he left for his new job. He told Ali to search for some apartments or homes near his office with his friend.

"Hey don't forget to check out the homes with your friends," He told Ali.

Ali: "Oh, don't worry bro, I'll find some and when you return, we can go together again and finalize some."

Asim: "Yeah okay I'll get done by 3:30 pm but I'll try to come a little early... then we can go and check."

Ali: "Bhai...." He stopped.

Asim: "Yeah? go ahead..."

Ali: "...I was just thinking if you want a home by Bhabhi's choice?"

Asim: "Hmmm... but, well it would be difficult to manage with her before we can find a home..."

Ali: "I have an idea, I can find a home and we can send pictures and links for the homes to her and tell her select one."

Asim: "Hmm okay, we'll see after I come from work. I'm going now... so Bye. Take care."

Ali had set off with his friends to search for homes and he collected a number of house pamphlets to show to Asim. On the other side, Asim had started his day at his new office. The office in Islamabad was more beautiful than Lahore's. His cabin room was large and it made him instantly comfortable. He settled and then called Rohma.

*phone rings* "Asim Ali calling"

I smiled and answered the phone. "Asalam o alikum..."

Asim: "Walikum us salam.. How are you?"

Rohma (shyly) : "I am fine... you?"

Asim: "Yes... I am fine too. I just reached the office... It's so beautiful..." He then paused.

"You tell? What were you doing? And how's everyone?"

Rohma: "Nothing... I woke up two hours ago and now just came out from the shower. I'm about to go downstairs to make breakfast"

Asim: "Oh cool. Hey listen, Ali will send you some links and pictures of some houses... please select any house you like and I'll rent it out for us."

Huh? What? Why? Why do you want it from my choice? I can live with you anywhere and any house... why does he care about my choice? He doesn't even know me yet! "Umm...You didn't select any house?"

Asim: "Oh no, I gave this task to Ali so that we can save a day and quickly find the house, if he finds some, I'll go with him in the evening... But you also see those homes and let me know which one you like..."

Rohma (low voice): "Hmm...Okay.."

Asim: "Yeah... so? When are you planning to come here?"

I was constantly getting surprised by Asim's questions. Why is he so desperate to see me and take my opinion? I am still so confused about accepting this part of my life. "Umm...I don't know yet..."

Asim chuckled and said, "Really? You don't know?"

I felt guilty and bad. "No..." I guiltily answered.

Asim: "Rohma... you're coming a day after tomorrow!"

I was surprised yet again and was confused. "Really? That quickly...?" I asked.

"Yeah... I am bored here..."

I smiled and said, "Don't you have Ali there? Have fun with him?"

"Haha. He will mostly out with his friends...Oh, I think you should come with Neha and Safia. I'll ask parents and aunt..."

I became nervous and then I said, "Okay, I'll see..."

"What do you mean by I'll see?"

He made me guilty yet again. "I mean... nothing... sorry!"

I wanted to hang the call so I thought about excuses. What should I say? Should I hang up? It will be rude. But, it's making me uncomfortable. He then finally said, "Hey, it's okay. Plan and start packing. Hmm?"

I nervously said, "Okay." and I waited.

"Oh, hey, I'll talk to you later, the boss is here. Allah Hafiz!(Good-Bye)" He hurriedly hung up the phone.

Ohhh... I sighed. I took a deep breath and went downstairs to the hall. I met the family and did breakfast with them. The family was behaving nicely with me, but then I was unsure if their behavior was temporary or they were nice for real.