Chapter 3

In the evening, when I was fixing the bed, my phone rang, and it was my cousin. I was telling her, that how my day went. I was nervous and scared but then she made me excited as she told me, she would come soon to visit me.

"...I don't know yaar, I'm so scared....don't know what's gonna happen next... I am so nervous and don't feel calm at all..." I said to my cousin, Maria.

"Oh, Rohma! Come on! Take it easy! He's not going to eat you up!"

"LOL!" I said in a pale, sarcastic tone.

She continued, "I mean.... Relax... Do everything with care, and be nice to him. I am sure, you'll find him friendly and then you can be relaxed."

"Yeah...I don't know... I just want to cry! I can't handle this..."

"Rohmaaa! Pleaseee! Keep calm and go with the flow!" Maria now seemed, irritated with my reply.

Just then someone opens the door. I was leaning against the window and was talking to Maria. Asim had come inside and sat on the bed.

"Yeah... Okay....okay, now I should go. Bye. I'll talk to you later." I replied Maria, in a low voice, getting anxious and cautious.

"Okay, bye" I hung the call and nervously, tried to escape from near the window.

I quietly went near the corner of the bed and sat there. Oh, what should I do? Oh God, please help me. What should I talk about?

"Umm, Rohma?" Asim called out as his back was facing me.

He called me? I nervously replied, "Uh...Yes?"

"Would you please come and sit over here?" he asked.

WHAAT? WHYYYY! ARGH! Why he wants me to sit in front of him!? I can't look into his eyes!

I hesitatingly went and sat in front of him on the chair and I looked at him and turned my eyes away. I was constantly rubbing my hands and was confused. He was looking at me.

"Uhh... Are you comfortable?" he politely asked me.

Wait, what? Comfortable about? "Uhh... a little..." I hesitantly answered.

"I understand... look Rohma, I just want you to feel comfortable around me, as I am as much nervous as you. We should better start off our relationship with a few steps..." He tried to make me feel relaxed.

"Steps? what steps?" I asked him.

"Steps, like how we are going to take this relationship up to the next levels. Our first step would be to become friends. We should get to know each other... and then we will see how it goes." He replied.

"Okay."

"Okay? So let's pretend, we aren't married yet. Imagine me meeting you at your college and here I am, talking to you as a college mate." He said and smiled.

"Hey, I am Asim Ali from Lahore." He introduced himself to me.

I smiled and replied, "Hi... umm...I... am Rohma Shafiq, from Karachi."

"Oh, nice name! What do you do, Rohma?" He asked.

"I am an English major over here and I have been studying for the past 3 years. You?"

"I am a Business Administration major from here and I am in love with my job in an enterprise."

"Oh.... uhhh..." I hesitated.

"...yeah? Go ahead please..." he said calmly.

"uh... so who's your hero or inspiration?" I finally asked him.