Chapter 2

I woke up again at 7:55 am and I saw Asim sleeping peacefully. I quickly went to the bathroom and changed my clothes. I was dressed in light pink shalwar kameez with beautiful embroidery with beadwork also known as zari work. This dress was a gift from my best friend, Samia. I looked beautiful. I then bought my makeup stuff and did put the new lip oil and lip gloss and a little foundation on my face. I then wore the light artificial earrings. I looked simple. I was getting scared to experience the first day and breakfast with my in-laws; who were yet complete strangers to me. I finally got ready and now was waiting for Asim to wake up so that we could go downstairs. Just then, Asim's phone started ringing and I went near the phone and saw "Neha" as caller ID. Neha was Asim's younger sister. Asim woke up and she said,

" Asim!!! Come on! Get up! Breakfast is waiting for you!!! You know... Your wife is here so now get up!?"

"Wife?" As he heard it, he sat in bed with surprise.

A few seconds later, he goes like, "ohhh! Okay bye." And as he switched the phone off, without saying anything to Rohma, he went into the bathroom and changed the clothes.

When he came out, he was silent. He was left speechless by my beauty, I guess. He was dazzled and stared me. When I noticed him, I became shy and deep inside, was nervous. Just then, the door knocked of the bedroom and Neha had come with the tray full of breakfast.

"Assalamoalikum- how are you?" Asim greeted her sister with joy.

He noticed the tray and said,

"Oh, what's this?"

"Mom sent the breakfast."

" Oh thank you..." As Asim got the tray from her.

"Have fun Bhai..." Neha winked, cheered, and ran away as she handed the food.

Asim came inside and shut the door with his feet while holding the hot tray firmly in his hands. He put the tray and I was surprised.

"What's this? Breakfast, here?" I enquired.

"Oh, mom had sent the breakfast. She said that we should eat breakfast together a few days from now. Then, we can join the rest of the family for the breakfast."

I was quite surprised and felt a bit awkward thinking that I need to be with him? Oh, again? I can't talk to him. I am really nervous. And quietly said,

"Okay, sure." And I smiled to make him feel comfortable.

He stared at me and said, "Come, sit. Let's do breakfast?"

"Oh sure." I smiled and sat on the chair set. Asim sat next to me and I felt strange. I kept silent. I was thinking if I should approach the breakfast and serve him or not. Asim and I both didn't do anything. We were just sitting in silence waiting for each other to take some action. Suddenly, it struck in my mind; you need to become a good wife. Give a good impression. Stay quiet and start it.

I started serving him breakfast after I looked that there were bread and spread, juice and eggs, I asked him,

"Umm...What will you take?"

"Oh, I'll take the eggs and bread."

I smiled and served him what he wanted for breakfast and poured juice for him. While I was serving I was constantly feeling nervous as I was worried that I don't spill anything on him or I don't do any mistakes. I could feel my feet tremble and my hands shake with nervousness. I finally served him breakfast right and I sighed. He smiled and said, "Thank you."

I then got myself breakfast and quietly began eating. I was cautioned about my careless eating habits. I was quietly and nervously eating as Asim said and looked at me,

"You look beautiful today."

I smiled and kept quiet.

"Umm... look... I know that we didn't get time to know each other before marriage. And we don't know about each other yet...so... umm... I promise you that... I will try my best to satisfy this relationship. I know it will take us some time to adjust and to accept this marriage but I hope we can make it through." He nervously told me.

I quietly listened to him while I ate. I was nervous too and tightly closed my hands. I started pressing my fingers and hands and I could hear my heart palpitation. He looked at me and realized I was feeling nervous and quiet. He tried to assure me,

"Hey. Look. I can understand, this is totally new for you here...our home, our family, even me... You'll even feel awkward many times but I'll try that you can adjust here soon and stay happy... Even then, if you have any complaints or any trouble, please, share it with me..."

I nodded.
As he was assuring me, he asked.
"Oh, by the way, why did you wake up so early?"

I was surprised by his comment but I replied shyly, "Um, actually, I usually wake up at around 7:30 or 8:00 in the morning."

"Hmm. Nice." he said and continued, "I love sleeping till 9 or 9:30 on weekends! But, today, Neha woke me up."

I smiled as I couldn't utter anything.

Then there were a few minutes of awkward silence and I felt scared and nervous. What might be he thinking about me? Is he happy with me? I don't know if I can fulfill this marriage properly or not. What kind of person he might be? I don't know. Uff. These random thoughts were making me scared. Then suddenly he asked me,

"Don't you have anything to say?"

I felt embarrassed. I smiled and said, "Umm what should I say?"

"Anything...Don't you have anything to share with me?" he inquired.

"Not yet...I guess." I said it as I felt guilty and lowered my eyes.

Asim smiled and we continued eating our breakfast.

"Hm okay," as Asim rubbed his face with a napkin and continued, "I'm gonna go wash my hands and then we can go downstairs, okay?"

"Okay." as I shyly said to him.

After he came outside from the bathroom, he said, "Shall we go now?"

"Yeah," and I smiled and arranged my dupatta on my head again.

We arrived downstairs and everyone was waiting for us to come. My mother-in-law came forward and I said, "Assalam-o-alikum" to everyone, and the female ladies hugged me. I smiled and with Neha around me, I felt less scared and nervous about Asim being with me. Nevertheless, I sat next to Asim and smile and the families were having funny conversations and a good family time.