𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐀𝐧𝐝 𝐈 𝐓𝐨𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

Start from the beginning

Regina chuckled. "Does a woman need an occasion to doll herself up?"

"Typically, yes," he gazed at her, curiosity at what she could be up to apparent on his handsome face. "Especially when she's hoping to get her way."

She smirked and leaned forward, running a perfectly manicured fingernail along the fine fabric of his suit jacket. "In that case, can you really blame her for putting a bit of effort in?"

"Not at all, particularly when the result is stunning." She caught the way his breath hitched, and knew that she had his full attention.

Regina grinned. "As it happens, the occasion is dinner with a dear friend. It's been a while since we've had a chance to talk."

"Are you asking me out on a date?" he smirked, which made him look far more attractive than he had any right to.

Actually that comes later. "Why do men always assume that dinner means a date?"

"I wouldn't have assumed anything if you hadn't walked up dressed like this," he moved closer, so that there was barely any space between them, and this time it was Regina's breath that hitched.

She attempted to form as neutral an expression as she could. "I just want to share a meal and your company. Is that too much to ask?"

He arched a skeptical eyebrow, but shook his head and then he offered her his arm.

Smiling happily, she linked hers with his, and then allowed him to escort her.

꧁༺***༻꧂

Regina's favorite restaurant in town was an intimate little Italian bistro, which was tucked away in a corner between some of the bigger businesses.

The atmosphere was more romantic than she recalled: each table was lit by the glow of a single candle and adorned with a single red rose. Ironically, she found herself wishing that it was a date, because she would be far less nervous than she was at that moment.

Gold gallantly pulled out her chair, and she flushed before taking her seat, preoccupying herself with scanning the menu while he sat across from her.

"This is very cozy," he remarked, prompting her to admire him in the glow of the candlelight.

As Rumpelstiltskin, the man before her had been alluring in his own way, but as Aiden, he caused her blood to race with a single look.

It wasn't helping matters that he currently wore a gentle smile, and that the light cast attractive shadows that caught the sharp angles of his face.

"I like the quiet. The staff is wonderful and they make the best spaghetti and meatballs I've ever tasted," she confessed. "Besides, it's much easier to talk than, say, at Granny's."

He laughed softly and nodded. "True enough."

She was about to say more when the waiter came for their drink order.

They chose to share a bottle of red wine, and then were left alone to decide on their food.

As they pondered what to order, Regina snuck another glance at her companion and then stated: "How's your business?"

"Slow, mostly," he admitted. "Although I did get an unexpected customer the other day."

"Oh?" she caught his eyes. "Who was it?"

"Ruby Lucas."

"As in Widow Lucas's daughter?" Regina was unable to mask her surprise. "She doesn't strike me as the type to visit your shop."