Chapter 44

Jay opened the front door of his family's condo

Jay opened the front door of his family's condo. Noticing the bag Riley carried, he gave his friend a pointed look. "Well, hi."

"Hey." Riley pushed past Jay and entered the foyer. "Where is your sister?"

"At a friend's."

"Oh."

"Why are you here? You usually call first."

Riley froze and remained silent.

"What's going on? Are you avoiding Eran?"

No answer.

"Riley."

No comment.

"If you're not going to say anything, go back." Jay pushed him back towards the front door.

"No, I can't. Jayyy," Riley whined.

Jay stopped pushing. "You keep avoiding important things. Whenever you do that, you avoid Eran. Then you get all depressed. So don't be stupid and go talk to him."

Jay started to push again.

Riley glared. "My own friend is kicking me out."

"That's because you should be at home. Talk to—"

"Aren't you supposed to support me, no questions asked?"

"Who the hell told you that?"

Riley glared.

"Talk to Eran."

After a pause, Riley admitted, "I'm scared."

Jay crossed his arms. "What's so scary?"

No response.

Jay rubbed the back of his own head. "Elias told me you might come over."

"You talked to Elias?"

"He called me."

"Do you know?"

"Know what?"

Riley looked meaningfully at Jay but Jay only returned the look. "What did Elias say?"

"Depends---How much do you want me to know?"

Riley huffed. "This asshole professor told me and I thought he might be lying, but he doesn't know about our relationship, so he has no reason to lie—unless he somehow knows about us; I mean, Eran has kissed me a few times at the uni... But Elias told me it wasn't a lie. How could Eran hide something like that from me, I thought. After all this time. Something so huge that it might even be the cause of our relationship! Or is that why he didn't tell me? Eran... if it's true, Eran isn't the person I've thought he was... And who did I fall in love with?"

Jay hesitated. "Are you ready to breathe now?"

"Wh-what..." Riley was at a loss for words. "Isn't it fucked up?"

"I think you should go talk to Eran."

"You too?" Riley was evidently growing tired of hearing what he didn't want to hear.

"Well, obviously."

Riley gnawed on his lip. "Just an hour," he suggested.

Jay hesitated, then shook his head. "No. While you're here, Eran is probably over there having a panic attack."

"Why?"

"'Why' what?"

Riley shifted his eyes. "I'm sure he's fine," he said lowly.

"Eran's never fine when you leave him."

"He's just confused," Riley rationalized.

"Confused, my ass. Eran loves you. Riley, go home." Jay stared hard at his friend.

Riley avoided Jay's eyes. He huffed again and ran his hand through his hair from his forehead to crown. "Shit."

"Let's go," Jay grabbed his hooded jacket from a hook beside the door as he slipped into his shoes. He then shoved Riley outside and closed the door behind them.

Riley faltered. "Ugh, I—What if—," he turned back to the door and tried to turn the handle, but it was locked. He glared at Jay, realizing Jay must have purposefully twisted the inside lock.

As if confirming Riley's suspicions, Jay began to walk away.

Riley knew now that he had no choice but to go back to Eran and face what he had been avoiding—a fight, a possible breakup, and a probable broken heart.

As the doorknob jiggled and the latch clicked opened, Riley could hear Eran dash to the door. "You're back," he sighed with a relieved frown.

Riley glanced at Eran briefly before turning away to close and lock the door.

"I-I was making a d-dish, but... I wasn't sure if you'd come back tonight..."

"You made something?" Riley turned back to Eran, eyes wide in genuine surprise. Why?

"Well, I barely started..."

Did he start making it because I left and he felt guilty?

Eran bit his lip, unnerved by Riley's silence. He reached out to take Riley's hand, but hesitated. "W-why'd you come back?"

Riley stared at his lover. I came back because I love you.

Eran was looking up at him with the same eyes he had the first time Riley soberly said 'I Love You'―the same eyes he had the night of Riley's birthday when he thought Riley wanted to go to his old apartment without him. Those same eyes that tugged at Riley's heartstrings. Large, concerned, and vulnerable. Does it really matter? Should I just forget about it, like I never even found out?

Staring at his lover now, affection filled him, but he knew he couldn't let the matter go. If for no other reason, he needed to know about Eran's past.

"You have something to tell me," Eran blurted observantly.

Riley's heart rate increased and his breaths halted. Without warning, he leaned down and kissed Eran tenderly. After the kiss, Eran's eyes trembled as if he would cry, but no moisture showed itself. Riley took a deep breath. He took off his coat as he walked to the sofa and sat down. Eran silently followed, sitting close enough to where their knees almost touched.

"I..." Riley started slowly, "need you... to tell me... about J-Jamee." Afraid to see Eran's expression, Riley kept his head and eyes turned downwards.

Riley sensed no reaction from Eran. Just as he lifted his head, Eran took his hands and held them. They gazed at one another, Eran's eyes now showing more calm. He nodded ever so slightly. "I'll tell you everything."