Thanks for that one

Start from the beginning

"Then I'll do it," Evie said, firmly.

"Only if you two will be there though," she added, a lot more nervously than before.

"We won't let anything bad happen," Sarina reassured her.

***

The next day and the three of them were sat in the conference room in SGP. Evie was sat in the middle, Sarina and Leah either side. Leah was holding her hand and Sarina's hand was resting on her knee. It was what she wanted and helped bring the anxiety burning her throat to a lower level.

The room was packed with press. Holy fuck it was scary. Sarina did a little introduction and then it was time for Evie to speak.

"Um, well, it started off like a normal interview. Me and this woman had history from the Arnold Clark Cup. She knew some stuff and asked me about it then. It really hurt and, well, I was a bit hesitant to speak to her the other day. There wasn't anything odd until she asked me about the article- the one about my dad, er, my dad sexually assaulting me," Evie stammered out. Leah squeezed her hand and she smiled appreciatively.

"She, she asked if it was a publicity stunt for the euros and, er, obviously I was upset. I didn't want people to know. I'm still not open to talk about it. I shouldn't have told her to shut the fuck up but at the time I was hurt. Being sexually assaulted isn't something you bash around for attention. It happened and it was scary," she paused.

"The girls all heard what happened and stepped in. The hate they're getting is ridiculous. Those audio files have been mashed up a bit. Everything they said was fair and to protect me. I love those girls and all they were doing was sticking as a team."

A reporter stuck his hand up and Sarina nodded, allowing him to speak.

"So the article was true?" he asked. Evie's heat began to beat faster. It was true.

"Yeah," she stammered out, her eyes brimming with tears.

"We can stop whenever you want," Leah whispered to her. Evie shook her head and turned back to the journalists.

There were more questions that the three of them answered before Sarina got up, calling it a day. As soon as she was in the corridor, Evie flopped against the wall. Leah pulled in for a hug. She could tell just how drained she was.

"I'm so proud of you baby," she said, kissing her on the top of her head.

"You don't have to do any training today if you don't feel up to it," Sarina said.

"No. No I want to," Evie told her. Football was an escape and that's certainly what she needed now.

An hour later and everyone was out on the grass. All the girls had watched the interview and it made them respect the teenager even more. She was nothing but lovely all the time and to manage that after everything she'd been through was incredible.

It didn't take long for Evie's broad grin to appear back on her face. She sprinted down the wing, chopping backwards and forwards and sending anyone trying to shut her down the wrong way. Keira was easy to pick out in the middle. Evie sent it to her before making a darting run into space. The ball reached her forehead and she powered it into the back of the net.

"KIDDO!" Keira shouted as she ran to celebrate with her. It had been a serious display of skill.

They did a few more drills. One where they were attached with elastic and the person at the front had to run, the other trying to slow them as much as possible.

Evie had been put with Millie. It was not going well.

"I feel like this might be a bit unfair," Evie laughed as she was unable to move. Sarina laughed when she realised that there had been a bit of a mix up.