"What? What does that mean?" Chloe asked.

"Katherine was never in there. She lied to Damon. She wasn't there" Elena said.

Chloe nodded, trying to take in all the new information. "Okay. Just...just give me one second" she said, before racing back over to Tyler.

"Everything okay?" he asked.

"Um, yeah. It's kinda a friend emergency. I'm sorry. I have to-"

"It's okay. You don't have to apologize" he said.

Chloe gave him a small smile as she kissed him. "I love you."

"I love you too. Call me when you get home?" he said.

"I will. Pinky promise" she said, kissing him again before she walked back over to Elena and followed her to her car.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Looking up at the big wooden door in front of her, Chloe pushed it open, not surprised that it was unlocked.

She walked in, knowing that he could sense her presence the moment she opened the door. She found Damon in the living room, sitting in front of the fire with a glass of whiskey in his hand.

"Hey," she said, her voice soft as she sat next to him.

"What are you doing here?" he asked, finishing his drink. Chloe didn't say anything as she wrapped her arms around him, surprising him as she hugged him.

"I'm sorry," she said.

"Me too," he said, hugging her back.

"Do you want to talk about it?" she asked, as she pulled away but he shook his head.

"Do you want keep drinking? I'm already a few ahead of you but-"

"Why are you here?" he asked.

"Because you're my friend," she said. "And you didn't deserve this."

"Didn't I?" he asked.

"Sometimes you deserve a good punch in the face. But no. You didn't deserve this. No one does" she said. "Damon, you can talk to me."

"I'd rather just drink," he said.

"Good," she said. "I like that option better anyway."

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

The night of the Duke party, Bonnie's grandmother passed away, having used too much energy to help them lower the tomb spell to see if Katherine was there.

And after Grams' death, Bonnie went to stay with her Aunt for a few days. Elena and Chloe figured it was probably best that Bonnie was out of town. Especially since they weren't sure if Damon was set to go off the rails yet.

Chloe sat on Elena's bed, Stefan leaning against her dresser as Elena told them both to come over so she could tell them some news she found. And what she told them was completely unexpected.

"You think Alaric, our history teacher's, dead wife might be your birth mom?" Chloe asked.

"It can't be true right?" Elena asked. "I mean, the coincidence alone is just crazy."

Elena pulled out a post-it note from her nightstand. "I have the address for her friend Trudie," she said.

"You want to talk to her?" Stefan asked. "I don't know. I...I don't know. If it's true and they are the same person, that means that my birth mother is dead. And I don't know if I could handle that" Elena said.

"Elena, did Jenna tell you anything about Alaric's wife? How she died?" Stefan asked.

Elena shook her head. "Just that she was killed and the case was never solved."

But by the look on Stefan's face, he knew that already.

"The night at the school when he attacked me he told me some things about her death," he said.

"Well-"

"No, no, no. It's not possible. The coincidence is...it's too much" he said.

"Is it?" Chloe asked. "I mean it is Mystic Falls after all, it feels like anythings possible."

"Well if you do decide to go talk to Isobel's friend, I'll go with you" Stefan offered. Elena nodded but she still didn't know what she was going to do.

"I should go," he said. "I have to go deal with Damon."

"How is he?" Chloe asked. She hadn't spoken to him since that night.

"He's dealing in his own way," Stefan told her.

And Chloe knew what he meant. "Right. Well, I should get going too. I'm supposed to meet my mom at the grill for lunch" Chloe said.

"Is Caroline going?" Elena asked.

"No. She's been spending all day with Matt" Chloe said, grabbing her bag.

"When did Caroline become the normal one?" Elena asked.

Chloe laughed and shook her head. "Caroline has never been the normal one."

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

When Chloe got to the grill she saw her mom walking away from the bar, obviously talking to Damon. Her mom smiled when she saw her. "Hey! I'm gonna grab us a table" she said.

"Okay. I'm just gonna go to the bathroom" Chloe said. Her mom nodded and walked to the front of the grill as Chloe made her way to the bar.

"Hey," she said, sitting next to him. "What was that about?"

"Apparently your mom thinks I'm a catch. She roped me into being a part of the eligible bachelor fundraiser the founder's council is throwing" Damon said.

"Oh god. I can try and get you out of that you know. I'm sure there's someone else she can ask" Chloe said.

"Please. A room full of women all clamoring to win a date with me...sounds tasty" he said. Chloe scoffed, not surprised by his answer.

"You know I was going to ask how you're doing but I'm assuming this means your doing fine," she said.

"Of course I am. Why wouldn't I be?" he asked.

"Well you know we're friends, right? If you're not fine you can tell me."

"Oh yeah? Then maybe after we talk about our feelings we can braid each other's hair" he scoffed, downing another drink.

Chloe shook her head, not taking anything he said personally. "You know maybe this heartbreak will be good for you. It'll remind you that you still have one. Even if he doesn't beat" she said, before leaving him and walking back over to her mother.

"You're friends with Damon?" her mom asked, as she sat down. Chloe shook her head.

"I don't know. Maybe. Did you ask him to be apart of the fundraiser?" she asked.

"Yeah, I figured he's single. Handsome. And we were short one person. Why not?" her mom asked.

"Just because he's single doesn't mean he's emotionally available."