Prologue: It started with an alien device did what it did

First Person (Ben)

My name is Ben Tennyson, a 17 year old high school student who was looking for a part time job. My good friend, Mark Grayson, suggested that I sign up at his place of work. That being Burger Mart.

How did me and Mark become friends? It started 6 years ago, I was 11 at the time my family moved to Chicago from Bellwood. Starting a new school ultimately meant that I had to make new friends.

It was there I met Mark, we went to the same elementary school. Eventually our parents met each other which meant we were around one another all the time.

The world that we live in is home to regular pedestrians, heroes, and even villains. Omni Man was the most famous out of all of the heroes. And the cool thing is...he's actually Mark's father.

How do I know this? Well, when we were around 13, Mark accidentally let it slip that Omni Man was his dad. We were talking about which villain could possibly defeat Omni Man. I still remember the words he said that day.

"Yeah right, no lame villain would be enough to do that to my dad. There is a reason that he is number one."

The face that he made after he realized how much he screwed up was hilarious. After that he begged me not to tell anyone, and of course, I didn't. And the next time I was at his house, Mark told his dad that I knew. Surprisingly, he took it well.

"I understand that it was a mistake, and they happen. But Ben, nobody else should find out. If they do, we all could be targets. And that includes your family. Ben, you have to promise that you will not tell anyone," Mr. Grayson sternly said.

And I kept that promise. Since I found out, Mr. Grayson told me some info about himself. Apparently he was a member of a powerful alien race called the Viltrumtes. Aliens that are sent to other planets and protect them.

At the time, Mark did not show any signs of having powers. As a 13 year old, knowing Omni Man personally was a dream come true and ever since that day I just knew I wanted to be just like him.

But that was the thing. I didn't have any special abilities or powers, I was just a human.

Now that brings us to this very moment in time. Mark and I were outside of our workplace taking out the trash. I opened the lid so Mark could throw it inside. But that never ended up happening. Instead, Mark threw the trash bag into the atmosphere.

Third Person

Mark turned around and looked at Ben with a smirk. "It's about time," he says. "Woah, your powers finally kicked in. Congrats man," Ben said to his friend.

Suddenly, as if a pure coincidence, a meteorite zoomed past them and towards a surrounding forested area. They looked at eachother, the other already knowing what they wanted to do. "Do you want to check it out?" Ben asked. "Hell yeah," Mark answers.

The two exit the establishment and rush towards the meteorite direction. Seeing smoke rising from a distance, they knew it was close. Once they get there, they don't see a meteorite, instead a strange ball of a metal like material.

Moving closer, they investigate the strange object. "What do you think it is?" Mark questioned. "I have no clue," Ben answered. He moved his hand closer to the object. "Dude, are you sure you want to touch that? What if you get some type of incurable disease?" Mark questioned.

Before Ben could answer, the object suddenly opens and something latches onto the wrist of Ben. "AHHH!" He shouted. Mark watched as this happened. "What the hell?"

"Get it off, get it off, get it off!" Ben continued to shout

"Get it off, get it off, get it off!" Ben continued to shout. "Ben, calm down!" Mark yelled. The teen stopped his yelling, he looked at his wrist to see a strange device was latched onto it. Using his other hand he attempted to remove it but it was not budging.

"What do you think it is?" Mark questioned. Ben looked closely at the device. "I don't know but it somewhat resembles a watch," he answered.

"What do you think it does?" Ben questions. "There seems to be a button on the side, maybe try pressing that?" Mark says.

Ben saw what Mark was referring to, he pressed the button and something did in fact happen. The faceplate of the device extended and revealed a hologram of a four armed being.

"Woah, is that a monster?" Mark questioned. "Looks like it," Ben answered. He toys with the device a bit more, revealing 9 more of these 'monsters'. The teen pressed on one of them.

Mark watched as his vision was blinded by a green light. Once it died down, he saw that Ben was not there. Instead in his place was a monster that was on fire. "Uh...Ben? Is that you?"

Ben looked at his hands, he knew that he changed forms

Ben looked at his hands, he knew that he changed forms. "Woah...Mark...this watch just turned me into a monster. I JUST TURNED INTO A MONSTER!"

"Please, don't start yelling again! Just try and turn back!" Mark suggested. "How am I supposed to do that?" Ben asked. "I don't know but we'll figure it out," Mark says. "Well, hurry up! What if I'm stuck like this forever?!"

"Take some deep breaths, alright? Just use your head for a moment here. The symbol on your chest is the same one that was on the device. You pressed the device to turn into this...thing. Try doing the same to your chest, maybe that will fix the problem?"

Ben listened and did as Mark said. He pressed the symbol on his chest and he did in fact change back. He looked at Mark with a grin. "Do you know what this means? We can be heroes together! We can be a crime fighting duo!"