YOU CANNOT OUTRUN THE PAST

The centre was still smelling new and truly was a joy to walk through. The modern built complex had all sorts of interactive things for the whole family, which only made my brows rise. No offence, but who would bring their small children to this battlefield where thousands of their potential ancestors were slaughtered and let them watch it all unfold again in front of their eyes? Well I - for one - swore to myself in that moment that if I would ever have children, I would not do it.

In said complex, there was a nice little café where I could sit down and I could finally rummage through the hundreds of records Professor Gillies had brought together from historians, collected over the past 270 years about as good as any incident that happened and had to do with the failed attempt on Culloden. While I ate a piece of cake and nipped on a lovely cup of hot chocolate, I searched through all these pages, when something caught my attention. It wasn't much, but it sure seemed interesting. It was a fun fact, as they called it, nothing but a myth, but it had me intrigued.
" "Latest research shows that on the day of the battle, Culloden Battlefield was the only place in the UK which wasn't experiencing nice sunny weather" I read to myself, shaking my head as I put the paper back into its folder, shuddering involuntarily, "...Ugh. Spooky."
Did anyone really believe that? It probably was just some sort of accidental thing, and people think more of it than it's worth. Hours passed and I didn't find any interesting pieces about the Rebellion I hadn't known yet, apart from the description of the battle:
"Towards one o'clock, the Jacobite artillery opened fire on government soldiers. The government responded with their own cannon, and the Battle of Culloden began. ..." I started reading softly to myself.
"...Bombarded by cannon shot and mortar bombs, the Jacobite clans held back, waiting for the order to attack. At least they moved forwards, through hail, smoke, murderous gunfire and grapeshot. Around eighty paces from their enemy they started to fire their muskets and charged. Some fought ferociously. Others never reached their goal. The government troops had finally worked out bayonet tactics to challenge the dreaded Highland charge and broadsword. The Jacobites lost momentum, wavered, then fled. Hardly an hour had passed between the first shots and the final flight of the Prince's army. Although a short battle by European standards, it was an exceptionally bloody one."
I didn't know that before I came here. It made the hairs in the nape of my neck stand on end. Although I knew quite a lot about it, it shocked me a little. The other records and papers were only occasional glimpses into a strange time, where every person, especially women, were accused of witchery.
Well, the witch trials didn't exactly go along with my Jacobite essay, but it still fascinated me. So I read through them, and made a note here and there on loose pieces of paper.
I - however - did find after several papers some records that sparked my interest even more and I wrote them down into my other journal which was full of happenings in the years before, while and after Culloden. I needed a break from all the stories I uncovered in the records the Professor had conveniently put together in a big folder, so I stood up and walked a bit through the centre after I was finished. I hadn't noticed how big it actually was.
Lots of sections and...a shop.
I went inside to see if I would find a nice souvenir for my parents and Fern, I left at home and quickly found some articles that - hopefully - put a smile on their faces. My hands were already full with gifts for the family as I made my way through the small shop, not once using my eyes but praying that my feet would find any and all obstacles that were in my way before I would stumble and fall, making myself the laughing stock of the throng of people around me.
An odd sensation ran a shiver down my spine and I had the sudden fear of someone watching me. I peeked over the mountain of gifts, my eyes scanning the surrounding quickly, finding nothing out of the ordinary. I shook the feeling off and continued.
The jute gift bag full with goodies for those left behind in London in my arms, I walked back to my learning spot.